Vacant Job For National Consultant at The United Nations Children's Fund, 10th May, 2018
Jul 10, 2018, 5:17 PM
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential - to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Consultant - Technical Support to EMIS Officers in the UNICEF Focus States
Job Number: 514470
Work Type : Consultancy
Purpose of Assignment
- The purpose of this consultancy is to ensure the effective monitoring, data collection and maintain records on all UNICEF supported interventions in assigned focus states (Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Kebbi and Kano) according to work plan and monitoring and evaluation framework, contributing to the results of the project
- More specifically, the consultant will build the capacity of state EMIS officers in the targeted focus states on the EMIS database administration and management, annual school census (ASC) data collection process management, including individual learner tracking and ASC data quality assurance.
- The Consultant will report to the Education Specialist M&E based in Abuja
- The Consultant will work closely with the Education Officer based in the Maiduguri Field Office responsible for North East project implementation and the field office Education Officer/Specialist responsible for the targeted states supported
- The consultant will work collaboratively with the other state consultants' coordinating activities, analyzing operating environment, sharing lesson learnt and progress, maximizing synergy between activities towards key result areas.
UNICEF Nigeria is implementing Basic Education programme which contributes to reducing the number of out-of-school children and improving learning outcomes in development and humanitarian context primarily focusing on states in the north west and north east of Nigeria with high burden of out-of-school children. The Basic Education programme is being implemented in partnership with the Federal Ministry of Education, Universal Basic Education Commission at the national level and with the state ministries of education and State Universal Basic Education Board of target states and other implementing partners.
The education programme has a strong focus on strengthening monitoring and evaluation (M&E), especially building capacity of government to generate timely and reliable data required for equity based planning and tracking of progress. The M&E data collection processes to be strengthened are the annual school census, school based management committee effectiveness monitoring and tracking of out-of-school children in targeted communities, through a process called community mapping and listing of out-of-school children.
The UNICEF M&E approach relies on the government systems primarily to ensure capacity building of government officials for sustainability. In addition, a quality assurance process has been built into the M&E systems to validate quality and reliability of monitoring data generated through government system. This consultancy is needed to support the capacity building of government officials, focusing on the education management information system.
Scope /Focus of the Assignment Areas of Focus
Under the management supervision of the Education Specialist M&E, the State EMIS Officer shall carry out the following tasks in fulfilling the expectations of this post:
Under North East:
- Undertake LGA level data quality assessment in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
- Conduct training of data entry personnel in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
- Monitor data entry process, data cleaning and merging in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
- Provide support for data analysis and report generation in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
- Provide support for State Level Annual School Census planning meeting in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
- Conduct training of ASC coordinators and supervisors in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
- Supervise and coordinate cluster training of enumerators in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
- Monitor ASC data collection in Bauchi, Borno, Yobe, Adamawa and Kano
Under EAC (Kebbi):
- Provide technical support for EAC individual child tracking field work
- Provide support for EAC data cleaning and merging
- Provide support for quality assurance of EAC final datasets and necessary actions taken for corrections with collaboration with state team
- Provide support for EAC community mapping data analysis and reporting
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- Advanced Degree in Education, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science.
- At least 7 years of experience and demonstrated ability in data collection and monitoring and statistics
- Demonstrated skills in the use of data analysis packages (Excel, SPSS, and Access)
- Strong analytical skills using diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data
- Experience working on gender issues
- Contract Duration is 3 months
- Applicants should indicate an all inclusive fee
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th July, 2018.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.