Line Cook Interview Questions
Line Cook is a professional cook whose job is to produce all assigned menu items in an efficient and consistent manner while following the specifications, recipes and techniques of the company.
Whether you're a job seeker preparing to be interviewed for the role of Line Cook or
an employer preparing to interview candidates for Line Cook position,
these Line Cook interview questions will help you prepare yourself for the job interview session.
Line Cook Interview Questions
Below are a list of some skill-based Line Cook interview questions.
- What are the differences between broiling, braising and frying?
- Do you have any experience preparing large quantities of food at once?
- Do you have any suggestions on how to make healthier menu options more popular?
- What would you do if you were on your way to work and your car or other means of transport broke down?
- How do you prioritize your work when you have multiple menu items to complete?
- What type of culinary training have you had in the past? What sets you apart?
- What types of cuisine have you worked with most extensively in the past?
- What were some of your most difficult experiences in your last restaurant? How did you overcome them?
- What has been your experience working with others in a fast-paced kitchen environment?
- What are your thoughts on food presentation?
- Do you place priority on food being done on time or food being prepared to the customer’s specifications?
- How do you deal with feeling undervalued or unappreciated in the kitchen?
- What has been one of your challenges as a line cook and how have you learned from it?
- What would you do if you made a mistake while cooking a dish?
- Which dish have you specialized that exemplifies your creativity in the kitchen?
- We want to make sure that our customers enjoy our food. How would you assess the taste of a dish that you prepared?
- Can you describe a time you had to handle a conflict with a colleague?
- What would you do if you noticed that your co-workers were not following proper food safety procedures?
- What steps do you take to ensure a successful shift change?
- How do you handle constructive criticism from others?
- Describe your experience with using different types of cooking equipment.
- Can you describe your method for keeping a prep station organized?
- Can you describe a time you received negative feedback from a customer and how you remedied the situation?
- Describe a time you disagreed with your manager. How did you handle it?
- What would you do if you were shopping and couldn’t find the right brand of an ingredient for your recipe?
- What are the three top characteristics of an ideal colleague to work within the kitchen?
- What would you do if you were cooking and realized that you didn’t have all the ingredients you needed to make a dish?
- How do you handle high workloads and stressful situations?
- In your opinion, what is the most important thing that a line cook can do to ensure the quality of food being served?
- What makes you stand out from other line cooks?
Line Cook Interview Questions and Answers
Every interview is different and the questions may vary.
However, there are lots of general questions that get asked at every interview.
Below are some common questions you'd expect during Line Cook interviews. Click on each question to see how to answer them.
- Do You Have Any Questions for Us?
- What is Your Greatest Weakness?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- Why Do You Want This Job?
- What is Your Greatest Strength?
- Tell Me About Yourself
- Are You a Leader or a Follower?
- What Is Your Greatest Accomplishment?
- What is Your Salary Expectation?
- Why Do You Want To Leave Your Current Job?