Job Title: Visa Assistant
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent responds accurately and efficiently to incoming email,
phone and postal mail correspondence regarding American Citizens
Services and immigrant and non-immigrant visa from both the public and
- S/he reports directly to the Correspondence Team Leader and works
closely with LES team leaders, unit chiefs, and with the entry-level
officer assisting the Correspondence Unit.
Note: All applicants Must
address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and
comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application
will not be considered:
- A University degree in one of the following: Social Sciences,
Accounting, Humanities, Language Arts, or Natural Science is required.
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. immigration laws, regulations and procedures is required.
- Proficiency in MS software packages with the ability to draft correspondences and respond independently to inquiries.
- Minimum of two (2) years work experience in Consular or other work
related to customer services, correspondence, or the application of
regulatory material is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English is required.
Language proficiency will be tested. Level IV (fluent) of one other
local language (Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba) is required.
When fully qualified, U.S.
Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given
preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically
address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement
(PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first
90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a
position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least
one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered
eligible to apply for this position.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee
Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member
Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Or Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N4,766,721 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-07
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not-Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$40,665 p.a. EFM/MOH – US$35,014 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-07*
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for U.S. Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus.
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD – 214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., certificates, awards, copies of
degrees earned) that directly addresses the qualification requirements
of the position as listed above.
- A type written and signed application letter specifically applying
for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e – mail) submissions to one entry/e – mail
not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats,
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-400009-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work
and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen
EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the
sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to
Be assigned officially to post.