The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (Community Dialogue)
- Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MM), Lagos and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant (MM/AVRR Operations), the successful candidate will be expected to design and developed contextualized community-based awareness raising Interventions.
The specific objectives and Performance indicators are:
- Undertakes the required consultation with local governments, community and religious leaders, and community based organizations (CBOs), community members, including returnees and potential migrants, and other stakeholders to assess and define appropriate design and development of contextualized community-based awareness raising Interventions.
- Share both the draft and final CD Manual and the Training for Trainers guide with IOM as per the stipulated scope and in line with IOMs guidelines.
- Ensure that all the deadlines are met with minimum supervision.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
The Consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Develop a checklist for trainers of community based dialogue facilitators based on the manual developed.
- Pilot and conduct training for trainers (ToTs) in Delta, specifically among Asaba and Agbor communities and in Edo state pilot Uromi and the community in Benin.
- Monitor the rolling out of at least two community dialogue sessions conducted by trained facilitators
- Develop an M&E framework and guideline that will be used to assess the impact of the community dialogue
- Conduct consultation with local governments, community and religious leaders, and community based organizations (CBOs), community members, including returnees and potential migrants, and other stakeholders to assess and define appropriate design and development of contextualized community-based awareness raising Interventions. These activities will also be linked to other ongoing interventions including community based psychosocial support interventions.
- Develop the CD Facilitators’ Manual and Trainer’s Guide in the context of Nigeria on the issues of irregular migration, human trafficking and smuggling. The manual and trainers guide should incorporate adult learning techniques.
- Design the CD manual in a manner relevant to the local context in Nigeria to be used by community dialogue facilitators, religious leaders, and watch group members in different states at remote villages.
Tangible and Measurable Output of the work assignment:
- A draft inception report as per the scope of work with a methodology and detailed work plan.
- The consultant will be required to submit a detailed work plan providing an indication of the timelines for the deliverables.
- Present the first draft of CD Facilitation Manual for a review by representatives from the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the local community and the stakeholders for comments/feedback.
- Submit final copy of CD Facilitation Manual with feedback from the review session addressed in English.
- Submit final copy of Trainers Guide for training of facilitators.
- Draft and share an implementation plan/schedule on how the trainings will be conducted. This field work plan should be presented to IOM for comments.
- Conduct a Training for trainers for 20 trainers from government sectors like National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons (Nigeria) NAPTIP Community Society Organizations
- In line with the CD Facilitators’ Manual, develop and share a Monitoring and Evaluation guideline, which incorporates tailored tools and indicators, to enable calibration of results, such as community action.
- Present all the necessary supporting documents to Migration Management Coordinator and Communication Officer for reference and filing.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong expertise and experience in participatory qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Good research skills including applied methodologies
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in English and the relevant local language, as appropriate
- Knowledge of socio-political issues affecting Nigeria, including migration and human trafficking issues
- Relevant academic background (Master’s Degree preferred) in Social Science, Political Science, Human Rights, Migration, International Law, etc.
- At least 3 years’ experience research and/or practice on human trafficking or a closely related topic
- At least have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in designing awareness raising materials that support Behavioural Change Communication
- Strong expertise in developing Participatory Learning and Action/Community Dialogue manuals, guides etc.
- The target date for commencement of the consultancy is Monday 11 June 2018. The date for completion is 10 September 2018 with an estimated 90 effective working days during the period
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in all languages advantageous;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of statistical methods and migration data sources at the regional and international level required
- Confident use of statistical analysis software and social research methods
- Personal commitment, efficiency and drive for results
- Ability to draft text clearly and concisely
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks under time constraint
- Proven track record of delivering on time and within the budget
- Ability to work in English and French Languages
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications with a Cover Letter, not more than one page specifying the motivation for Application, addressed to the “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration IOM” via e-mail to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int and with a subject line “CFCV2018/31 Nigeria. Consultant (Community Dialogue)”.
Application Deadline 9th July, 2018.
Note: All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).