Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource Intern
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00049
Dates of Internship: 1st July 2019
Length of Internship: 6 months
Interns Supervisor & Contact Information: Senior HR Officer
Mercy Corps Responsibilities
- Ensure all job files are populated by end of assignment
- Ensure all staff files are populated by end of assignment
- Active calendar management
- Provide event management support during clinics, retreats, training sessions & events
- Prepare Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents as and when needed
- Complete and mail out regret letters to unsuccessful candidates
- Work with talent officer Coordinate candidate interviews, physicals, and testing
- Carry out any other duties as required
- The HR Intern will be responsible for working with his/her direct line manager and other members of staff in order to complete all outstanding employee and job filing, manage the departmental calendar, provide backend HR documentation & data collation support & internal customer service & external customer support services.
At the end of the internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- Learning goals
- Develop a working knowledge of HR information databases and searchable resources.
- Attends seminars and meetings relative to the HR profession.
- Cultivate interpersonal skills
- Develop negotiating and public speaking skills
- Read all assigned literature
- Work goals
- Complete all outstanding filing
- Proofread HR documents as required.
- Actively manage the team calendar
- Provide onsite and offsite event management
Ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in a Social Science
- Excellent Communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to multitask and process information into action in a timely manner
- Ability to use the following Microsoft Productivity tools: Excel and Word
- Fluency in English Language and any other Nigerian languages
- The intern will be expected to work 40 hours a week
- The intern will be paid a monthly allowance of N60,000 and health insurance.
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Job Title: Program Assistant – Agricultural Livelihood and Market Recovery Intervention (ALMRI)
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00047
Location: Biu, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Agricultural Livelihood and Market Recovery Intervention (ALMRI) is one of the projects under Market Agricultural Livelihoods and Livestock (MALL) of Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- The ALMRI program aims to facilitate the recovery of agricultural livelihoods and markets in the context of Northeast Nigeria. The positions will be based in Biu with travel to project sites on regular basis. The project works with vulnerable IDPs, returnees and the host community.
- General Position Summary
- The program assistant will assist the program teams in the day to day implementation of all program activities in the areas of intervention.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist program officers to ensure program progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Assist in the coordination in target geographical areas.
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep program officers and management updated with regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, lessons learned as well as general situation and community updates and needs.
- Document lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to programming.
- Responsible for expenditure tracking of activities carried out in the field
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Work closely with Mercy Corps Nigeria country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team in all aspects of its implementation process.
- Organizational Learning
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly To: Senior Program Officer MALL
- Works Directly With: Finance, Program and Operation Teams
Knowledge and Experience
- 1-2 years of working experience. Previous experience in community work is highly preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relation with the local communities and project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- Bachelor Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience is highly recommended
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required; ability to speak location specific local languages is also an advantage.
- Success Factors
- Strong Work Ethic, having the ability to learn the most efficient way of learning the most efficient way to complete tasks and finding ways to save time while completing daily assignments. Dependability and Responsibility, having the ability to come to work on time, are there when they are supposed to be, and are responsible for their actions and behavior. Adaptability, being adaptable and maintaining flexibility in completing tasks in an ever-changing workplace.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Biu, Borno State and it may requires travels between field offices in Northeast Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4 pages CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline 25th June, 2019.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.