Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Job Ref: 190002YH
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Permanent
Reporting to Position: Nutrition assistants
- The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis.
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- To provide technical support to the design, implementation and monitoring of health and nutrition activities in the programme “Support to Early Recovery from Conflict and Resilience Building in Yobe State”; with a special focus on behaviour change communications for improved health and nutrition practices during the 1000 days.
- Contribute to developing programme strategy in health and nutrition in consultation with the programme team and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of targeting criteria and methodology for mothers receiving cash transfers and ensure approaches are sensitive to cultural and gender dynamics.
- Provide technical assistance to State and LGA teams on health and nutrition, with a particular focus on development of effective methodologies to improve health and nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices.
- Conduct follow up monitoring of health and nutrition activities and document findings to feed into improved programming
- Support strengthening of information flow between State and LGA.
- Support assessment, preparation and planning for implementation, working in partnership with State and LGA authorities.
- Lead on the implementation of the health and nutrition strategy for the programme, ensuring technical resources required have been factored into workplans and budgets.
- Lead on health and nutrition training needs assessment for HWs, CVs and programme staff.
- Develop training plans for staff, government officials, health workers and CVs based on identified needs.
- Contribute to the development and/or adaptation of training materials.
- Facilitate on health and nutrition trainings.
Documentation and reporting:
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all health and nutrition activities in the Programme.
- Provide technical review of programme reports in line with the M&E framework.
- Ensure regular communication and sharing of lesson learned and challenges with the management and partners to inform implementation
- Work closely with the MEAL team to ensure that data are captured in a correct and accurate manner.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Represent SCI in relevant State level forums for health and nutrition in coordination with other SCI programmes.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required through correction of data and information and sharing with the project heads
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Experience
- Health / Public Health / Nutrition or equivalent with minimum of 4 years progressive experience post NYSC
- Experience in Nutrition and community based programming
- Experience in community based interventions in Northern Nigeria
- Demonstrable ability at report writing
- Fluency in written and spoken English and local languages (Hausa/ Kanuri)
- Computer literate
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
- Technical expertise and experience on behaviour change programming
- Proven capacity of management, leadership and teamwork
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathise with all beneficiaries and their carers
- Willingness and capacity to be flexible and accommodating when faced with difficult and frustrating working conditions
- Master trainer and good facilitator.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th September, 2019.