Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid in more than 70 countries to people affected by armed con-flict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Report to: Midwife Supervisor
Report to (functional): Midwife Supervisor / Midwife Activity Manager
Area: Medical / Paramedical
Working Hours: 48 Hours / Week
No of Places: 1
Contract Duration: 1 Month
- Provide obstetrical care to pregnant women and their babies, doing follow up before, during and after delivery, according to MSF obstetrical and reproductive health protocols, universal hygienic and newborn caring standards and under supervision of a specialist doctor, in order to ensure their health conditions and avoid post-delivery complications.
- Ensuring the implementation and continuity of antenatal and postnatal care, family planning, obstetrical care (BEmONC 1 and CEmONC 2), neonatal and comprehensive post-abortion care, management of victims of sexual violence, reproductive tract infections and Fistula care in accordance with MSF Reproductive Core Package of Activities and reinforce the implementation of standardised protocols.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Guaranteeing a regular and ongoing supply of drugs and equipment required for maternity activities (including monitoring/consumption control/ordering of orders.
- Properly following up all newborn babies from delivery until discharge, informing mothers and relatives about importance of breast feeding, vaccination and possible complications resulting from harmful traditional practices.
- Where PMTCT is implemented, ensuring implementation of the PMTCT protocol in the ANC/delivery and PNC consultations (pre counselling, test and post counselling
- Collaborating with the medical doctor and /or nurse and/or Community Health Workers in the management of Sexual Violence cases
- Assessing the feasibility for referral of pregnant women form the TBAs to the OPD/MCH for medical evaluation and/or complicated deliveries.
- Ensuring hygiene and sterilization criteria (including universal precautions) are met according to MSF specifications.
- Ensuring patients’ right to privacy and confidentiality is respected
- Supervising that administrative procedures of admissions and hospitalizations comply with MSF protocols , as well as verify patients are properly informed and receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card, etc
- Participating in the organization of the ward in collaboration with other midwifes and the maternity ward supervisor as well as being involved in IPC (Infection prevention Control). Ensure transfer of relevant information to the next shift team (specially identifying risk cases)
- According to MSF protocols in force, conduct normal deliveries independently Manage obstetric emergencies; identify cases needing referral and send them in time, clean up the new-born, executing and registering first neo-natal medical acts (cutting and cleaning the umbilical cord, vaccination, etc.), detecting possible anomalies/infections of the new-born and reporting them to the doctor, in order to ensure successful interventions; Supervises the use of drugs, perform AMV for post abortion care if needed, facilities and obstetric material, in order to ensure, in accordance with number of patients and prescriptions, a rational use as well as pharmacy stock levels are permanently updated, kept under appropriate conditions and above minimum safety point. 1 BEmONC = basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care = Administration of antibiotics, oxytocics, anticonvulsants, manual removal of the placenta, removal of retained products following abortion, assisted vaginal delivery, preferably with vacuum extractor and new-born care including neonatal resuscitation. 2 CEmONC = comprehensive obstetric and neonatal care = the full package of BEmONC Plus; surgery (caesarean section, hysterectomy, laparatomy), safe blood transfusion and care to sick and low birth weight new-borns.
- Essential midwifery qualification or specialization. Desired Bachelor’s in Midwifery.
- Essential working experience of at least two years in midwife activities related jobs. For OCBA, this is desirable.
- Essential: English and Hausa Desirable: Mandra and Kanuri.
NGN 303,781 monthly, (Basic salary) As per the MSF salary scale (National contract)
Deadline: 15th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a CV, Motivation Letter, copy of Practicing Licence and copies of credentials (only PDF or Word) either by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (in the subject please to put the position and the reference for while you are applying)
Apply in person marked in an envelope “Midwife – Gwoza” to:
MSF SPAIN Office,
Gwoza, Gwoza LGA,
- Applications should be accompanied by copy of the NYSC certificate.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- Applications are non-returnable. Do not submit original certificates or credentials
- MSF Encourages Women and People with Disability Status to Apply.