Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Government Relations Officer
Location: Minna, Niger
Duration: Full-time job.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible
- One Acre Fund is a rapidly growing organization; increasing the number of clients we serve in each year and the number of countries in which we operate. One Acre Fund is seeking a Government Relations Officer (GRO) to be based in Minna, who will serve as the primary point of contact for the local Ministry of Agriculture and other government officials, traditional leaders and external stakeholders, helping to establish our program in Nigeria.
- This role will be reporting to the One Acre Fund’s Government Relations Analyst based in Abuja, as well as to the Nigeria Country Manager based in Minna. The successful applicant will demonstrate a strong understanding of local government structures, a strong work ethic, have an interest in agriculture, be prepared to travel regularly in Niger State and be a clear and effective communicator.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engage stakeholders and local government officials of all levels with a view to deepening and broadening One Acre Fund’s local government network in Nigeria.
- Provide trainings to One Acre Fund staff on best practices for working with government officials, and other capacity building support, as needed.
- Track and manage risks and issues from local government affecting field operations.
- Track and manage One Acre Fund’s database of key contacts and interactions in Nigeria.
- Regular attendance at FO/Field Leader Meetings
- Monthly meetings with Field Team and Innovations lead(s)
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Host key stakeholder events (e.g. field visits) and oversee participation in agricultural shows and other external events. Ensure proper government protocols are observed at all hosted events.
- Assist program expansion through relationship management with relevant authorities in new or targeted areas of operation.
- Track and (as needed) renew licenses and permits required for our operations.
- Research and analyze policies, regulations, programs and political developments relevant to field operations.
- Continually engage field leadership to remain informed of the latest developments with our program and trials, through:
- Create project plans and budgets, and effectively manage concurrent projects
- Support the scoping, development and management of program partnerships, with support from manager.
- Produce communications materials to engage key contacts and keep them informed of our work, including quarterly reports, briefing notes and official written correspondence.
We are seeking professionals with a minimum two years work experience, some of which will have been in or with government institutions in Nigeria. They will demonstrate a long-term passion for agricultural development in Nigeria and be familiar with the challenges faced by smallholder farmers in Niger State. We are looking for extraordinary candidates that are organized and proactive; please only apply if you fit these criteria:
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized academic institution required. Candidates with graduate studies and degrees will be given additional consideration.
- Must be able to produce simple documents (emails, letters, etc.) and independently develop and use simple project tools and budgets
- Demonstrated computer skills in email, internet usage, and Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communication skills with good attention to detail
- A willingness to commit to living in Minna for a long-term position
- Leadership and management experience at work or outside of work
- Proven ability to set and meet targets
- Fluency in English and Hausa required.
- Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
- Work experience in a demanding professional environment such as government, business or NGO.
- At least 1 year experience working in/with government or in community development roles
- At least 1 year experience managing government and/or stakeholder relationships
- Knowledge of sub-national Nigerian government and traditional structures is required.
- Must be a self-starter, capable of independent work, with strong adherence to deadlines
Please highlight the following skills if you have them:
- Experience working in agriculture and/or rural development
- Experience managing events
- Background in dealing with government officials at local and national levels
- Capacity to produce neat and timely written work for internal and external audiences
- Ability to communicate across teams, coordinate meetings, and make recommendations
- Experience managing people
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online