The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Officer Operations, NOB
- This position is based in the Nigeria Country Office (CO) – Abuja, and the incumbent will report to the Head of Logistics, Head of Supply Chain or a designated senior official.
- At this level, the holder od the position has independent responsibility for technical and specialized work directly related to the CO operations (i.e. planning, organisation, and coordination of all operational processes and activities)
- She/he will be expected to deal with complex issues within her/his areas of responsibility that requires a consistent demonstration of high level of analytical and initiative skills to independently manage the logistics activities and respond to queries
- The incumbent of this position is involved in day–to-day activities and should closely supervise the work going on at the upstream operations and and she/he expected to manage teams within logistics operations to ensure supply chain strategies are implemented.
- To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics/Supply Chain operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute towards the development of supply chain end-to-end plan and processes ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies and standard.
- Support or manage supply chain projects and operational activities following standard processes and contributing,directly or indirectly, to the effective procurement and delivery of food assistance to the people we serve.
- Collect and analyse data through research and networking with colleagues to recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of local supply chain end-to-end operations.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including Key Performance Indicator (KPIs), supporting a WFP-wide view of logistics activities that enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders
- Support Capacity Building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. Through design and review of training materials).
- Identify and build productive relationships with supply chain colleagues and staff within the area of assignment to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews,drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimise use of available funds.
- Contribute to consolidation and preparation of operational pipeline planning, and to the management of operational aspects of supply chain(procurement, shipping,port operations), including checking documents and customs clearance readiness, loading and discharging operations and contracting of applicable transport, warehouse and any relevant logistics sevices.
- Contribute to supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other units/services,particularly for emergency response.
- Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts and external partners including suppliers, superintendents, companies,etc to align procurement activities with wider programmes and ensure a coherent approach to meeting food assistance needs.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices, participate in preparation of CD Logistics Capacity Assessment (LCA), to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Others as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Supply Chain Strategy: Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain strategies. Conducts analytical and conceptual work in support of strategy design and implementation.
- Operationalizes strategies in own area of responsibility.
- Supports the design and integrated delivery of supply chain services.
- Supply Chain Capacity Strengthening: Demonstrates robust understanding of supply chain capacity strengthening in operational contexts. Implements capacity development initiatives in own area of responsibility.
- Supply Chain Performance & Development: Supports integrated supply chain information management and conducts advanced
- Supply Chain and performance analytics. Contributes to supply chain improvement and innovation initiatives.
- Supply Chain Planning: Leads supply chain planning within area of operations managed. Oversees and coordinates periodic planning across functions and with partners. Ensures consensus based plans are in place and aligned with strategy.
- Supply Chain & Networks Management: Demonstrates robust understanding of end-to-end supply chain management.
- Supports the design and implementation of supply chain, retail and partnership networks.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Advanced University Degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Commerce, Business Management or order related field, or First University Degree with additional years of working experience and/or training/courses
- Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and duty station language if different.
Other Specific Job Requirements:
- Timely and cost-effective delivery of food and non-food commodities.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role:
A minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience is required in the following:
- Experience in commercial or humanitarian transportation sectors.
- Experience monitoring and reporting on transport and freight market conditions and trends.
- Experience in warehouse and commodity management.
- Experience conducting cost analysis.
- Experience working with vendors or other partners.
- Experience working with cooperate systems (databases,software).
- Experience in both development and humanitarian context is an added advantage.
- Experience in dealing with shipments and clearing imports/exports with customs officials.
- Experience Coordinating procurement and transportation processes with other units/teams.
- Experience with procurement activities( purchasing, vendor research,etc).
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian nationals or holders of valid residence and work permits are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and recieved online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. WFP offers an attractive compensation package. For more details please visit International Civil Service Commission website: http://icsc.un.org (link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/nigeria.htm).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 5th February, 2020.