Counselor Job Description
Job Descriptions > Healthcare and Medical > Counselor
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Counselor? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Counselor? What does a Counselor do?
Job Description of a Counselor
A Counselor is a qualified individual who uses counseling methods to help people manage and overcome mental and emotional issues. Their duties include listening to patients, developing treatment plans, and creating coping strategies. They work in mental health facilities, hospitals, and schools.
Counselors work in a confidential setting and listen attentively to their clients. They offer them the time, empathy and respect they need to express their feelings and perhaps understand themselves from a different perspective. The aim is reduce their confusion and enable them to cope with challenges or to make positive changes in their life where necessary.
Counselors do not give advice, but help clients to make their own choices within the framework of an agreed counseling contract.
Counselor Duties and Responsibilities
Counselor job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Assess patients through detailed conversations, interviews, and observations to determine the appropriate testing or examination.
- Diagnose patient’s mental and emotional disorders.
- Create effective treatment plans that include counseling, medication, or other services.
- Work with your patient and develop goals.
- Regularly discuss the treatment plan with your patient to identify faults or room for improvement.
- Educate appropriate coping mechanisms to help patients through tough situations.
- Record the patient’s progress and change their treatment plan when needed.
Counselor Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Counselor job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Work, or Counseling.
- X years’ experience as a professional counselor.
- Good time management skills.
- Proven experience in developing effective treatment plans.
- Superb verbal and written communication skills.
- Aptitude to empathize with clients and help them open up.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Counselor starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Counselor job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Counselor may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Counselor Job Description