Dean of Students Job Description
Job Descriptions > Education and Training > Dean of Students
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Dean of Students? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Dean of Students? What does a Dean of Students do?
Job Description of a Dean of Students
A Dean of Students, also known as a Dean of Student Affairs, assists college students in various areas, from admissions to social program development. He or she will help new students get acclimated to campus life, assist with financial aid and housing processes, and overlook programs for international and transfer students. A Dean of Students essentially acts a liaison between a student and the institution the student attends.
Dean of Students Duties and Responsibilities
Dean of Students job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Supervise and manage the admissions office and all programs related to this office.
- Serve as a liaison between institution administrators and student departments.
- Provide support to students on issues related to the institution policies, department processes, and student services.
- Direct and manage numerous student incentive programs.
- Conduct regular department evaluations to determine efficiency, and if required, recommend solutions for improvement.
- Create and implement department goals, policies, budgets and working procedures.
- Assess the needs of the student body and respond in a timely and effective manner.
- Provide structure and proactive leadership to ensure university development.
- Prepare annual statistical reports.
Dean of Students Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Dean of Students job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Outstanding verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a strong understanding of higher education institution policies.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Computer literacy skills.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to build positive relationships with students, parents and employees.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Dean of Students starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Dean of Students job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Dean of Students may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Dean of Students Job Description