Anthropologists at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Anthropologist
Locations: Zamfara and Benue
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Type: Indefinite
Main Objective and Responsibility of the Position
- Provide MSF project with a socio-anthropological analysis and understanding of local, socio-cultural determinants such as perception of health and illness and health seeking behavior in order to improve medical activities.
- Design, plan and organize researches (qualitative and quantitative) to understand the existing health beliefs, explanatory models and the health seeking behavior related to project's needs.
- Provide reports and tools to the project team to improve medical activities, in term of approaches and relation with the local population.
- Provide information and recommendation to the project team in order to support their understanding of local culture and perception to adapt efficiently the medical activities.
- Support Health Promotion activities (pre-testing of materials, focus groups, social data collection).
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
General IDP context understanding/analysis in:
- Benue and Middle Belt States
- Zamfara and Northwest States
- Analyse history, identity and distribution of IDPs including their coping mechanisms in response to the impact of displacement in their lives.
- Understand the response/attitudes of IDPs vis-à-vis humanitarian and other services.
- Understand the future perspectives of IDPs, together with how they see themselves in the long run.
- Short and long-term impact of displacement on host communities and their perceptions on humanitarian aid to IDPs.
- To have a better understanding of the farmer herder crisis in Benue and Middle Belt states.
- Analyse and understand the impact of the violence on the IDPs especially the farmers.
- Explore more on the plight of the herders since our programs are mainly focusing on the farmers.
- Impact of communal clashes on displacement.
- Analyse/study how IDPs seek to re-construct their own livelihoods – socially, psychologically, economically, politically and culturally.
- Analyse and understand interaction between Hausa and Fulani communities in IDP camps in Zamfara.
- Analyse the movement dynamics of IDPs across Benue/Middle Belt States and Zamfara/Northwest States.
- Understand the dynamics of IDPs in camp and non-camp settlements.
IDP dynamics and MSF programs:
- Analyse how MSF programs designs influence and/or impact on IDP dynamics and vice versa particularly SGBV MSF activities.
- Make recommendations for more efficient, accountable and sustainable program designing.
- Understanding the underlying causes of chronic malnutrition Zamfara state in order to inform operations as well as advocacy options.
Requirements (Qualifications / Experience / Knowledge)
To apply for this role applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- University Degree in Medical Anthropology, Social-anthropology or Sociology.
- Previous work experience in relation with medical anthropology/socio-anthropology or qualitative research is essential
- Experience in developing countries and experience with MSF or any other organisation in public health is highly recommended.
- Essential, mission working language and local language(s)
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Stress Management
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Usage of Google Chrome Browser is recommended.
- Only applications submitted ONLINE will be accepted.
- Lastly, only ONE online application form should be submitted as multiple submissions will NOT be considered.
- Please note only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- MSF is an equal opportunities employer and promotes diversity within the organization
Application Deadline 20th December, 2021.