Cloud Support Engineer at Canonical
Canonical - We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means 'humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world's biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world's most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation - Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it's the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Cloud Support Engineer
Location: Lagos (Remote)
Employment Type: Full-time
- This role is an opportunity for a hands-on engineer with a passion for Linux and cloud technologies to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products.
- If you have an affinity for open source development and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
- The role of a Cloud Support Engineer at Canonical
- We regularly solve interesting, technical problems. From triaging complex Cloud environment issues, Linux kernel crashes we’ve never seen before to OS configuration issues and root cause analysis, we provide an expert level of support and satisfaction to our peer groups and customers.
- We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented problem solvers with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
What your day will look like
- Investigate issues reported by customers by researching and escalating issues
- Work to resolve complex customer problems related to Canonical’s portfolio of products.
- Ownership of results: Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled according to our Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Engage directly with customers and work collaboratively by phone, ticketing system, and remote sessions to resolve their issues.
- Participate in a regular weekend working rotation.
- Contribute new knowledge base articles and maintain existing articles, ensuring shared knowledge and lessons learned are available to customers.
- Understanding Ubuntu development process to be able to set customer expectations correctly on timeline for a fix.
Background Check Required
- What are we looking for in you
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Hands-on experience supporting Linux systems including 2 or more of:
- Virtualization / Cloud - primarily using KVM or OpenStack.
- Programming fundamentals in any language.
- Customer support experience:
- Customer needs are top priority
- Communicate clearly and set the right expectations.
- Ability to travel.
- Containers - especially with Docker, LXD/LXC, or Kubernetes.
- Storage technologies - block, object and network.
- Networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, MTU issues, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- Cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Troubleshooting experience:
- Basic reading of stack traces to be able to search for duplicates, escalate to the correct team.
- Understand OS and Application level bugs and advise on next steps
What we offer you
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, please ask your Talent Partner.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply