Latest Job Openings at The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF),18th May, 2018
May 18, 2018, 2:22 PM
The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: International Project Coordinator (P4) - EU-MNCHN Project on Support to Strengthening Primary Health Care and Community Resilience for Improved Maternal, New-born, Child Health & Nutrition Outcomes in States of Northern
Job Number: 513193
Location: Adamawa, Bauchi and Kebbi
Work Type: Consultancy
Nigeria faces many challenges in its journey to achieving sustainable development. The multitude, frequency and intensity of shocks including natural hazards, armed conflicts, epidemics, economic downturns and food shortages due to draught in many states specifically in the north, are eroding rights and reversing development gains of vulnerable populations women and children. To significantly and sustainably improve the nutritional and health situation of children and women, a multi-pronged approach that will strengthen primary health care systems, build community resilience and strong governance is needed. Systematic interventions in health and nutrition including HIV/AIDS, complemented with water, sanitation, social protection initiatives, and strong governance structures are bound to be more effective and efficient than single or vertical initiatives.
The initiative is hinged on building and strengthening community capacity for improving resilience at the household and community levels while at the same time building on already existing support to sustain the gains in PHC service delivery for improved maternal, new-born and child health and nutrition outcomes in the 3 States. The project will support State governance structures including the strategic planning and development of annual operational plans, preparation of State budgets, accountability and transparency and enhanced performance. In addition, community resilience will be strengthened by supporting community participation, ownership and sustainability. This will be achieved by proactively strengthening the functionality of the Ward Development Committees (WDCs) and their linkage with management of the Primary Health Care facilities. The project will demonstrate and document a model for the sustainable delivery of an improved and sustainable primary health care delivery system at facility and community level in the project States which can be scaled up within the States.
For the project to have a successful outcome and promote sector-wide integration and convergence, it needs a strong intersectorial coordination. That is why we are recruiting a P3/P4 Project Coordinator.
The Project Coordinator will be a line report to the General Manager, Projects and shall be accountable for the success of the project. The tenure of the Project Coordinator will initially be for 11 months, with the possibility of extension based on performance and the project status.
Scope of Work, Job duties and Roles
- The goals of the Project Coordinator will be to accomplish project objectives by planning and evaluating project activities within the timelines with desired quality.
- The Project Coordinator is responsible for providing coordination, leadership, and resources coordination to meet the goals of the project.
- He/she is to lead and coordinate, on a daily basis, the implementation of the EU project activities and the work plans, ensuring they are delivered on time and to the agreed quality standards and budgets.
Working under the guidance and supervision of the MNCH Team Leader, the main job duties and roles of the EU Project Coordinator will be as follows:
- Provide practical, hands-on coordination and technical support to the EU-MNCHN project ensuring the quality and timeliness of all project components.
- Coordinate day-to-day activities of sectoral team members for implementation of the various project components;
- Track project implementation progress and ensure timely completion of the planned activities as per approved EU-MNCHN work plan;
- Liaise with the MNCH manager, steering committee team at Federal, the CFO and field project colleagues and, sectoral Chiefs to coordinate and monitor project implementation;
- Oversee review of project work plans and planning process for the subsequent periods;
- Ensure that project implementation conform to the policies and procedures of UNICEF and the Contribution Agreement signed with the EU;
- Oversee procurement processes related to EU-MNCHN including delivery and distribution of equipment and supplies;
- Ensure that quality progress reports are produced and submitted in a timely manner to the MNCH Manager and Section Chiefs for submission to EUD according to the contract schedule;
- Prepare inputs for monthly EU-MNCHN Technical Working Group meetings and Quarterly EU-MNCHN Steering Committee meetings for Section Chiefs and participate in the meetings;
- Liaise and coordinate with other sections at UNICEF involved in the EU-MNCHN project specifically Nutrition, HIV, Child Protection, WASH and Communication (including C4D);
- While ensuring the Section Chiefs are fully appraised on progress, develop and maintain positive relationships with all project partners, especially the Delegation of the European Union in Nigeria and the FMOH and SMOH;
- Report regularly to the MNCH Manager and Section Chiefs on project progress and provide regular updates on the EU-MNCHN project.
- Milestone monitoring: Monitor progress on monthly project milestones, and proactively engage Field Offices to minimize delays and other risks
- While ensuring integration of EU-MNCHN project implementation within the regular MNCHN project, coordinate the EU-MNCH project team promoting a One team approachÂ� and ensuring accountability of team members for their expected deliverables;
- Provide leadership and direction to the EU-MNCHN personnel for timely and quality project implementation;
- Promote and support effective team working through one-to-one communication and regular team meetings;
- Agree clear performance objectives for all consultants, and ensure all team members have appropriately set objectives, and that performance assessment are undertaken in a timely manner;
- Contribute to the recruitment and induction of EU-MNCHN project consultants as required.
- Provide overall supervision and coordination of the project budget, including regular monitoring of expenditure against approved budget, in accordance with UNICEF financial procedures and guidelines;
- Review financial reports and ensure consistency and accuracy of data.
- Monitor DCT at Federal and State level and ensure timely disbursement and retirement
Communication and Reporting:
- Review financial reports and ensure consistency and accuracy of data.
- Prepare high quality presentations and briefing packs in appropriate formats for briefing of partners and stakeholders as appropriate
- Review draft reports from assigned staff ensuring quality standards are met
- Write comprehensive regular reports as required in the M&E Framework and the Visibility Strategy, outlining project progress, key achievements, challenges and steps being taken to address them, and next steps for submission to Section Chiefs
- Coordination Plan
- State work and operational plans
- Monthly progress report
- Reports of Workshop/Meetings with actionable recommendations.
- Reports of milestones achieved to advance project implementation.
Estimated time of consultancy and deadline for submission of end-product:
- 11.5 months term is required for this assignment with possibility of renewal
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Job Title: Communication Consultant
Job Number: 513189
Work Type: Consultancy
Nigeria is one of the top five countries with highest numbers of people without access to safe water and improved sanitation and practicing Open Defecation. Nigeria was unable to reach the MDG targets for water (75%) and sanitation (65%) with major shortfalls in the rural areas. Open defecation poses a major threat to public health with an estimated 50 million Nigerians practicing open defecation. Open defecation is more common in the rural than in urban areas with wide disparities in access across wealth quintiles. As at 2013, only 28.2 % of the rural population has access to improved sanitation, while 47.7% have access to safe water. In the urban setting, access to water supply is 77.6%, while the sanitation coverage is 42.7%.
In order to strengthen the sanitation supply side interventions, UNICEF has commissioned a sanitation marketing research in 2013/14. The main objective of this research was to generate better evidence to provide a better understanding of the community sanitation needs and preferences; their motivation for adoption of certain sanitation practices; the available supply chain and financing for sanitation-related products and services; and the policy and enabling environments for designing and promoting appropriate sanitation marketing models in Nigeria.
UNICEF pilot on Sanitation Financing resulted in developing the three-pronged strategy for Sanitation Financing in Nigeria also considering the key elements from the Sanitation Marketing approach. Based on the strategy, UNICEF initiated partnerships with 42 Rural Financial Institutions to provide affordable Sanitation loans (@ up to one-third of the existing market interest rates). These financial institutions will incorporate sanitation financing into their existing micro-credit portfolio and provide loans in collaboration with UNICEF and the State and Local Government agencies. Pilots were initiated, working together with the Rural Finance Institution Building Program (RUFIN), for the formation 60 Sanitation Savings and Credit Groups at the Community Level to mobilize investments for construction of improved toilets. These savings and credit groups provide loans for members through periodical & consistent savings and internal lending mechanisms.
- Under the supervision of the Chief of Communications, with reporting line to the WASH Specialist, the communication consultant (national of Nigeria) will develop and ensure effective implementation of the Open Defecation Free Nigeriaâ€™ communication campaign of UNICEF Nigeria.
- The consultant will also organize and support field visits of journalists of media professional to ensure visibility of activities and project results.
- More specifically, the consultant will be responsible for providing visibility to activities and results in a timely and efficient manner. The consultant will develop communication materials to support advocacy needs of the WASH Section of UNICEF Nigeria.
- The consultant will also develop and promote stories, including human interest stories and other materials for sharing with partners.
- The Consultant will be based in the UNICEF Nigeria Country Office, Abuja and will work closely with the Federal Ministry of Water Resources; the Media; Communication agencies as well as UNICEF National and Field Office colleagues.
- The tasks will involve travelling to States, LGAs and Communities for consultation with relevant government partners and UNICEF colleagues.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
Under the supervision of the Communication Section, and in close coordination with the WASH Specialist, the consultant will work in UNICEF Abuja, with field visits to UNICEF Field Offices. The Communication consultant will be accountable for and carry out the following task in fulfilling the expectations of this post:
- Develop and lead implementation of communication plan for End Open Defecation in Nigeria communication campaign
- Develop the communication plan through a participatory process
- Based on the communication plan, design and finalize effective advocacy and communication materials for the campaign, and other needs of WASH section
- Plan and support organization of special events and high-level field visits by donors and UNICEF partners
- Ensure donor visibility and donor mention in communication products and activities
- Undertake other tasks in support of communication and advocacy needs of education section, as per planning with communication section
- Work with technical colleagues to identify gaps in information required for visibility and ensure those gaps are adequately filled
- Support the development of quality communication materials (leaflets, radio, video clips and TV spots etc.) for promoting key advocacy message
- Undertake other relevant tasks such as language-editing of technical reports, policy briefs and briefing notes
- Use of social media, video, photography to document to share project successes
- Write and finalize human interest stories
- Support documentation for visibility of the WASH activities and results for advocacy:
- Provide inputs on communication activities for donor reports, ensuring accurate and timely submission
- Develop communication products (presentations, human interest stories, and social media posts); plan and ensure execution of photo shoots and video products with UNICEF-hired photographers and videographers
Qualifications or specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- Advanced degree in communication, journalism, mass-media, advertising, public relations, or related field. In the absence of advance degree, a first university degree with additional 3 years of experience will be necessary.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in communication, journalism, advertisement, creative writing or external relations
- Experienced with planning and executing work-plans.
- Strong writing and analytical skills using diverse tools and computer applications
- Experienced in planning and rolling out communication campaigns
- Experienced with communicating using social media platforms.
- Fluency in English language and writing skills.
- Contract will be for a total duration of 11 months
Interested and qualified candidates should:Click here to apply
Application Deadline 31st May, 2018.