Digital Community Engagement Associate at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has built a reputation for innovative economic development programming, particularly working with start-ups, and hosts a venture capital arm called Mercy Corps Ventures.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Digital Community Engagement Associate
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports Directly To: Program Director / Jobtech Alliance
Works Directly With: Startups, External partners, Venture Building Managers, Finance team
Program / Department Summary / Team
- Mercy Corps has worked with jobtech for over a decade - investing, supporting product innovation, and conducting research on the opportunities for the sector. In late 2021, Mercy Corps launched the Jobtech Alliance, an ecosystem-building initiative around inclusive jobtech in Africa. We’ve just secured our first dedicated funding for the Jobtech Alliance, and are recruiting a team to expand the Jobtech Alliance astheinnovation and learning hub for inclusive jobtech in Africa.
General Position Summary
- The Digital Community Engagement Associate is responsible for ensuring that the Jobtech Alliance community - formed of jobtech startups, funders & investors, entrepreneur support organizations, and researchers - provides a ripe forum for learning, collaboration, and innovation in the jobtech space in Africa.
- S/he is responsible for building the membership through effective outreach, managing Jobtech Alliance social media channels (newsletter, Twitter and LinkedIn), promoting sharing and collaboration between members, and more - the scope of the role is infinite and driven by the individual.
- S/he has creative ideas to guide the community engagement strategy, sets the tone for engagement, and drives its evolution.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Community Strategy & Management:
- Contributes to overarching community management strategy & comes up with new ideas about how to improve things
- The primary KPI holder for a number of Platform and Community members registered. Drives membership of the Jobtech Alliance community through mapping of startups in the sector, direct engagement with startups, and creative outreach campaigns
- Effectively promotes and sells the Jobtech Alliance to interested people.
Content Development & Social Media Management:
- Develop content for LinkedIn and Twitter (written and video) building off Jobtech Alliance blogs and research
- Post, maintain and respond to engagement on social media channels
- Where possible, write blogs and longer-form content in the jobtech space.
- Organize and host meet-ups for the Jobtech Alliance community in different markets
- Go-to organizer for future bigger events.
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
- We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Who You Are
- You’re a creative extrovert who has phenomenal EQ and great organization.
- You’re deeply passionate about startups in Africa.
- You have experience managing digital social media channels, have a skill at facilitating, and are a natural connector.
- You’re highly organized and can keep the day-to-day ticking while working on ambitious new projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor's Degree
- 1 - 5 years of experience in community management, social media/marketing, content development, project management
- Experience managing and growing social media channels, demonstrating creativity in content and engagement
- Flawless written English and evidenced track record of developing compelling content in written form and beyond
- Demonstrated passion for the startup ecosystem in Africa.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- This role is for people with the right to work in Kenya or Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th December, 2022.
- In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges.
- We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
- We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
- Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have a sustained global impact.
- We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all.
- We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics:
- Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary-General and IASC and have signed on to the Interagency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
- We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct e-learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply