Driver to the Head of Office at UN Women
UN Women - In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver to the Head of Office
Job ID: 39591
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Agency: UN Women
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: Common System
Practice Area - Job Family: Management - Logistics
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- Reporting to the Operations manager, the driver provides reliable and safe driving services to the UN Women Nigeria Country Representative and other high-ranking UN officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues.
- The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Reporting to the Operations manager, the Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Office, consultants and experts and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide reliable and secure driving services:
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of UN Women Country Representative, other high-ranking officials, visitors, UN Women programme and operations staff, and facilitate VIP missions;
- Deliver and collect mail, documents and other items to Government – Offices/Embassies/Commercial Establishments/ UN Offices;
- Oversee and ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents;
- Oversee and ensure that all vehicles comply with the Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
- Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangements when required;
- Verify that all passengers wear seatbelts at all times in the vehicle;
Proper use of vehicle:
- Ensure cost-saving by driving responsibly;
- Maintain daily vehicle logs, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil change, servicing, greasing, repairs and oversee that other drives do the same;
- Prepare and maintain data of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
Day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle:
- Ensure that all official vehicles are kept clean and is always in good working condition;
- Ensure that vehicles comply with Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS).
- Make minor repairs and make arrangements for major repairs;
- Change oil, check tires, lights horn, clutch and brakes and wash car regularly;
Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies:
- Maintain and ensure availability of all required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Ensure that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Provide general administrative and logistic support as needed:
- Assist office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining required records;
- Assist in the mailing and distribution of publications and payments of bills, as required.
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality and timely driving services; safe and on-time
- Quality care and maintenance of vehicle and necessary documents
- Timely inputs to logs and records
Required Skills and Experience
- Education and Certification: Secondary education;
- Valid driver’s license.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record.
- Experience driving high profile dignitaries
- Experience driving 4x4 vehicles in rough terrain.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Excellent driving skills;
- Strong knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies and local roads and conditions;
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs;
- Ability to be on time.
- Strong defensive driving skills;
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Qualified Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 20th September, 2021; (Midnight New York, USA)