Education Specialist at Sightsavers
Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Education Specialist
Location: Kaduna, Nigeria
Contract: 2 years Fixed Term Contract
- As the Inclusive Education Specialist, you will work closely with the Sightsavers Global Technical Lead Education Systems to provide technical assistance on the PLANE Window 1 Programme to ensure that the programme promotes an integrated approach to disability inclusion.
- This includes the development and/or adaptation of approaches, interventions, tools and activities to ensure accessibility and participation of children with disabilities.
- PLANE Window 1 is a 7-year, £95m programme funded by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and represents one window of intervention in a broader package of investment intended to enable a more inclusive and effective basic education system in Nigeria
- The Inclusive Education Specialist will work with the Programme Manager to ensure overall programme management, liaise with the Director of Programme Operations and provide technical support to the Programme Officers in the project implementation States.
- The role will contribute to consortium-wide efforts to promote GESI and provide technical advice and support to education project Officers and the NCO Social Inclusion programme Manager, work with partners and technical teams to develop, review and update activity plans and stay up to date with key sectoral trends in inclusive education in Nigeria to ensure that the PLANE programme remains in line with best practices and innovative approaches.
Further Duties Responsibilities Include:
- Facilitate the formulation of technically sound education strategies/principles which ensure children have access to, stay in and complete primary school education in safe and inclusive environments.
- Work closely and pro-actively with PLANE consortium partners who lead on the 4 programme output areas to ensure disability inclusion is embedded in all we do as outlined in the PLANE GESI strategy.
- Engaging closely with the States of Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa and Federal Ministry of Education, and other relevant actors in the education sector in Nigeria to ensure disability inclusion is understood and supported.
- Providing hands-on support to the programme teams across all Programme implementation areas
- Building the technical skills of relevant programme Staff and beneficiaries, particularly in relation to developing high-quality education projects and programmes.
- Ensuring best practice is evidenced and implemented and that quality and effectiveness is demonstrated throughout the delivery of the Programme
- Ensuring education staff correctly use tools and through the strong analysis of project data, results, feedback and learning that the project is adapted and enhanced, to ensure project objectives are met.
- As the successful Education Specialist, you will possess a background in, or have a Master’s Degree in Education or a relevant discipline,
- Have experience in designing or providing technical advice to education programmes in Nigeria, and if supporting programme implementation.
- You will have a strong understanding of gender equality and social inclusion programming and have knowledge of development challenges and contexts in Nigeria, particularly barriers to education, safeguarding and child protection. Fluent/strong verbal and written English is essential for this role.
- Local Terms and Conditions apply.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Please be aware that due to an expected high response to this role we may close the ability to submit applications before the above mentioned close date.
- Sightsavers works to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. Our vision is of a world where no one is blind from avoidable causes, and where people with disabilities participate equally in society
Application Deadline 12th December, 2021.