Finance Officer at Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Locations: Damaturu, Yobe and Maiduguri, Borno
- The purpose of this role is to ensure financial accountability according to Plan International and donor requirements, provide timely and accurate financial information on the assigned project in Borno and Yobe State.
- Position holder acts as finance focal person for finance-related activities (budgeting, cash flow management, reporting, auditing etc.) on the project.
Dimensions of the Role
- Communicates within Plan International Nigeria and with partners and related government institutions. The post holder will contribute towards grant and financial management of the project, interfacing with both operational and programme team members.
- The post holder will also contribute towards the organisational development of Plan International Nigeria’s implementing/consortium partners:
- Monitors and controls project annual budget and its spending.
- Prepare financial reports for project.
- Area of responsibility – Assigned project
Support Budget preparation and Budgetary Control for the effective implementation of financial plans. To do this, the role will:
- Prepare project annual budget as part of the preparation of the Country’s annual budget.
- Prepare monthly project BvA (Budget variance Analysis) report and discuss variances and corrective action with project team.
- Prepare quarterly projects KP06 budget for project.
Prepare Financial and other Reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision-making. To do this, the role will:
- Assist in the preparation of country’s financial management reports (Monthly, quarterly and yearly).
- Prepare a monthly budget vs Actual spending for project.
- Carry out identified capacity building trainings for partners.
- Follow up staff advances to ensure prompt liquidation and submit monthly report to CO.
- Prepare the monthly Partners unliquidated advances report.
- Assist the CFM in the preparation of the quarterly and year-end financial schedules.
- Carryout monthly support visit to the project partners and submit report.
Support the Field Office Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting to ensure the availability of funds for country operations. To do this, the role will:
- Prepare and submit the monthly Cash forecast.
- Support the Finance Manager – Humanitarian to ensure that monthly cash forecasts are timely submitted to CO.
- Prepare and submit quarterly cash forecasts to donor as may be required.
- Ensure that the cash and bank accounts balances are never in negative.
- Follow up bank account issues in a timely manner.
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliation statement and submit to CO for consolidation.
Manage the operations of the SAP system in the field office to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements. To do this, the role will:
- Undertake accuracy checks to ensure all transactions entered in SAP are correct.
- Regularly review NRGRANT status to ensure grant related expenditures are charged on applicable grant.
- Ensure correct use of WBS (work breakdown structure) for all requisitions, purchase orders and journals.
- Ensure all required month-end procedures are carried out before SAP is closed e.g balance sheet accounts review, clearing of relevant open item managed accounts etc.
- Scan all vouchers charged to assigned project as support documentation to monthly financial reports.
- Maintain separate real time filing for the assigned project related SAP payment vouchers and reports.
- Ensure that invoices are posted only when good receipt note have been entered by Procurement dept., to avoid GR/IR (Good receipt/Invoice receipt) related issues
- Advice CO on all field level intercompany recharges.
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure payments made are as per Plan’s approved policies, procedures, and that of the donor rules and regulations.
- Ensure Field level accounting is processed and prepared based on the accrual accounting principle.
- Ensure all expected costs are timely and accurately recovered from the project.
- Support the accurate and timely payment of statutory deductions. To do this, the role will:
- Ensure all withholding taxes are remitted as per statutory time lines and receipts collected.
- Review the finance sections of purchase requisitions, advance requests, liquidations, and purchase orders for financial conformity with respect to Plan and assigned approved policies.
- Support the review of projects online payments/cheques issued before sign off by Plan Authorised Managers.
- Prepare project financial audit action list after each audit and ensure compliance.
- Monitor and submit quarterly report on field level financial risk.
- Ensure self and direct report’s IAP, six months’ appraisal and annual appraisal are timely completed and documented.
- Provide training and share good experience/practice among the team to strengthen team capacity and team building.
- Keep Supervisor informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
- Fulfil Plan’s Child Safeguarding Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned by your Supervisor from time to time to support the achievement of organizational goals.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- University Degree in Accounting or equivalent;
- At least 4 years’ experience in a similar role;
- Preferred qualifications: knowledge of and experience with the key donors in the industry is strongly preferred.
- Experience providing capacity development assistance to sub-grantees strongly preferred.
- Experience working with sub-grantees required.
- Fair knowledge in grants and project management.
- Knowledge and use of accounting software (Preferably SAP)
Skills & Knowledge:
- Communicates clearly and effectively.
- Ability to facilitate participative processes for all stakeholders for implementing grant projects.
- Strong team building skills, Organized and methodical.
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s policy environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Good supervisory & coordination skills and ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Fair knowledge of project planning, management, supervision, monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities.
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 5th November, 2021.