Governance & Influencing Officer at Oxfam
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Governance & Influencing Officer
Requisition ID: 11244
Internal Job Grade: D1
Contract Type: Nine (9) Months
Job Family: Programme
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
- To lead the development and implementation of LINE project’s advocacy and influencing works in Bauchi state linking with local, state, national, regional and global Oxfam advocacy and influencing initiatives.
- The Position Holder will also lead in community development planning in all LINE rural communities using participatory approaches..
- To design and develop LINE project’s approach to advocacy and influencing work, as part of Oxfam overall strategy.
- To lead the implementation of LINE Project’s advocacy, influencing and campaigns working in collaboration and with support from relevant units at Oxfam Nigeria Country Office.
- Developing and implementing sound advocacy and influencing strategies targeted at principal policy actors at the State and Local Government levels in Bauchi State towards sustaining the gains of LINE in the State.
- To work closely with other Project Staff (Oxfam and Partners) in ensuring that communities are adequately mobilized towards having comprehensive Community Development Plans.
- Identifies and develops collaborative relationships with key stakeholders in government, civil society and at the community level, who are working for, or supportive of, change in the area resilience building of target communities (social protection, early warning systems and National Agricultural Resilience Framework) and participatory budget monitoring.
- Maps existing networks and complementary or cross-sectoral initiatives to help build a State level network of resilience building and budget monitoring partners and other women’s rights organizations, experts and practitioners focused on common goals.
- Lead in the identification and documentation of stories of change and evidences of changes on the ground using case studies and other related approaches, the output of which shall be used for advocacy engagements at all levels in alignment with the project’s theory of change.
- Provide supports to other Project Staff (Oxfam and Partners) towards understanding how to implement community development planning strategies and stakeholders’ influencing strategies.
- Works with key government officials at the state and local levels who engage on reforming ways of working in relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to design and implement a strategy to achieve and track progress on resilience building of target communities (social protection, early warning systems and National Agricultural Resilience Framework) and participatory budget monitoring
Design and development of advocacy and campaigning:
- To work with the Project Team in the development of advocacy and influencing strategies that are suitable and relevant to the contexts where LINE is being implemented, recognizes LINE implementation stages and in alignment with Oxfam Nigeria’s advocacy and influencing strategy.
- To take the lead within LINE project for the development and coordination of all advocacy, influencing and campaigning activities.
- To identify, work with and collaborate, where necessary with relevant civil society organisations in and around Bauchi state on advocacy, influencing and campaigning on improving food security and agricultural governance systems.
- To establish a monitoring framework that tracks, and document changes and impacts related to advocacy, influencing and campaigning activities under the LINE project in line with Oxfam’s Worldwide influencing Network (WIN).
- To advise the Project Team on the development of reactive and opportunistic policy statements as required.
- To work closely with the IPE team in generating contents for digital visibility and linking up local- national – global
Lead implementation of advocacy, influencing and campaigns:
- To develop LINE project’s profile with international development advocacy forums working in close collaboration with the Project Team and Oxfam Nigeria Country Office.
- To establish and develop relationships with relevant high profile influencers, including but not limited to Commissioners, Permanent Secretaries, Local Government Chairmen, civil servants, think tanks, academia, private sector players and reputable statesmen etc.
- To work closely with the LINE Project Coordinators and Oxfam country office in developing advocacy, influencing and campaigns materials.
- To ensure that LINE’s communication strategy and visibility plan are properly implemented as evident in adequate visibility of the Donor ( Global affairs Canada), Oxfam, Women Empowerment Initiative In Nigeria (WEIN), RAHAMA Women Development Programme, The Pastoral Resolve (PARE), Association Of Small-Scale Agro Producers In Nigeria (ASSAPIN), and Forward Action In Education, Poverty And Malnutrition (FACE-PAM)
- Lead in the design and implementation of campaigns around key moments such as World Food Day, International Women’s Day, Davos, International Youth Day etc to align with Oxfam in Nigeria on-going campaigns.
- To represent LINE project at relevant pubic events and in the media, including speaking at supporter events after due clarification from the Project Coordinator.
Rooting advocacy and campaigning in local partnerships:
- To work closely with the Project Team to understand the development needs of LINE communities and amplify their ‘voices’ to policy actors and other relevant stakeholders using suitable media.
- To identify, work with and mentor local implementing partners on advocacy, influencing and campaign activities.
- To ensure LINE Project advocacy and influencing work supported through local partners is incorporated into Oxfam country office advocacy, influencing and campaigning where appropriate.
- In association with the relevant team members, to identify any potential impact of LINE Project’s advocacy or influencing or campaigning on local partners and advise the Project Coordinator accordingly.
- To provide targeted advocacy, influencing and campaigning support to LINE project partners as required.
Community Development Planning:
- Work closely with the Project Team and Implementing Partners to understand the developmental stages of each of LINE communities, recognize their peculiar needs and resources available in their communities.
- With supports of the Project Team, engage with Community Leaders, Traditional Institutions and Community-level Project Management Committees to develop plans for each community in line with their developmental stages, identified needs and available resources.
- Lead in the facilitation of implementation of the development plans developed for the communities.
- Develop relevant tools to monitor and track progress made by the communities in implementing heir development plans.
Reporting back to colleagues and the Board:
- To provide regular reports and feedback on advocacy, influencing and campaigning activities to the Project Coordinator.
- To provide regular updates on the achievements of LINE project’s advocacy, influencing and campaigning to the Project Coordinator.
- To promote knowledge sharing on advocacy, influencing and campaign within Oxfam and with implementing partners.
- To work closely with other members of the Project Team in delivering on all the objectives of LINE.
- To ensure at all times that Oxfam’s Policy on Safeguarding is strictly adhered to and provide supports to colleagues and beneficiaries to report any suspicious act of sexual harassment, inappropriate behaviours and fraud using appropriate communication channels.
- To play an active part in the larger LINE project team by offering help and support to other colleagues as might be required.
- To undertake any other tasks that may be regarded as appropriate for a role of this nature within the organisation and those to be assigned by the Project Coordinator.
- To travel as required and represent LINE project at appropriate forums, both nationally and internationally.
- University Degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Sociology, Rural Sociology & Extension Services, Development Communications, Agricultural Policy Administration or other relevant fields, with a minimum of five (5) years cognate experience. OR,
- Post-graduate qualification in Development Studies, Sociology, Rural Sociology & Extension Services, Development Communications, Agricultural Policy Administration or other relevant fields, with a minimum of three (3) years cognate experience.
- Relevant trainings on thematic professional areas will be added advantage.
- Experience of developing and delivering policy and advocacy strategies and influencing policy change targeting different categories of stakeholders.
- Experience of working with high, mid and low level influencers across different socio-economic grouping and geography.
- Experience working with vulnerable rural people, including women and young children.
- Working in difficult terrains with limited access to urban facilities.
- Cultural awareness of the northern Nigeria and/or experience of the socio-cultural and religious issues of the region.
- Experience of advocacy and campaigning targeting diverse stakeholders in a similar position.
- Working with rural communities and facilitation of community development plans using participatory methodologies.
Skills and Attributes:
- Demonstrable negotiation, influencing and relationship-building skills.
- Proven organisational and administrative skills.
- Computer literate in Word, Excel and Outlook, tech savvy and skills in digital campaign
- Proven ability of planning and carrying out training sessions.
- Skilled at communicating in a clear, concise and compelling manner to a wide range of audiences.
- Fluency in spoken and written English language. Hausa language proficiency will be an added advantage.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work under pressure and prioritise effectively.
- Good team player prepared to contribute to the overall success of the organisation.
- Personality with a ‘can do’ spirit and a great deal of attention to detail.
- Willingness to live in, carry out extensive and frequent travels in northern Nigeria.
Key Behavioural Competencies:
- Influencing: We can engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities, we could create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
- Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We could engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
- Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with many elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
- Systems Thinking: We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome, or event in isolation. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
- Listening: We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
- We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
- Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct.
- We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us