Housing Clerk at the U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Housing Clerk - All Interested Candidates (Realty Clerk)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2023-108
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 Hours Per Week
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series / Grade: LE - 0820 6
Promotion Potential: LE-NA
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- For USEFM - FP is 36,195. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Under the supervision of the Realty Specialist/Supervisory Housing Assistant, the incumbent is responsible for maintaining Housing files for over 170 properties, preparing floor plans and other complex documentation for the files, preparing landlord and other correspondences: monitoring, updating, and tracking of all housing related databases and spreadsheets.
- Incumbent will attend Housing and Make ready meetings and prepare minutes of those meetings.
- Reports to the Supervisory Housing Assistant and receives additional supervision from the GSO for Housing.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Two (2) years of university education is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years prior work experience in Administrative or clerical duties is required.
- The incumbent must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to work with others and be able to respond with courtesy in handling stressful situations.
- Must be able to effectively plan meetings and be able to prioritize work and be flexible when dealing with urgent/non-standard situations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.) and good keyboarding skills with emphasis on accuracy is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent speaking/reading/writing in English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- The incumbent must have superior skills and abilities in the following areas: troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing HVAC systems and components; taking and interpreting equipment readings with various meters to determine system performance; skilled in using all sorts of hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools typical of the HVAC trade to install, remove, update, and/or determine appropriate repairs to any component of a HVAC system including control sensors, controllers, motors and dampers.
- A valid and clear Nigeria driver’s license is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Must be organized.
- The incumbent must be computer literate with good skills using the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) software; able to apply basic math and algebra skills when sizing equipment; able to read and interpret construction and as-built drawings, and manufacturers technical literature; able to research the internet to find replacement parts for systems and equipment; and, knowledge of troubleshooting techniques and industry best practices to correct/resolve HVAC issues quickly. Must have substantial skill in comprehending engineering reports, specifications and related materials in English.
- Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, heights, and temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A "certification" is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the "APPLY TO THIS VACANCY" button at the top of the page.
- Click on the "Submit Application" button to complete your application process.
- For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree OR Transcript
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor's Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Passport copy
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
Application Deadline 1st November, 2023.