Humanitarian Response Manager at Christian Aid
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Response Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Reports to: Country Director
Salary Band: C
Competency level: 3
Number of Direct reports: 4
- To provide results-based strategic guidance, leadership, management and capacity building to the Humanitarian and Sustainable Livelihood team. In so doing, the Response Manager is expected to take responsibility for engagement with stakeholders in the humanitarian space including donors and sector leadership and the development, management, and coordination of Christian Aid’s response strategy in an emergency situation/appeal/recovery in Nigeria.
- The post holder will initiate new donor engagements (BHA, ECHO, FCDO, USAID, UN, etc)
- Partnership development which should result into funding and sustained relationships with current/new donors. He/she will coordinate development of humanitarian and sustainable livelihood funding applications and contribute to the conceptualization, development and scale up of donor funded projects as a primary role.
- Positive relationships maintained and developed with critical stakeholders including donors and internal stakeholders like humanitarian division within Christian Aid for effective advocacy and communication.
- Strategic engagement with the sector in the Northeast, government and other stakeholders and ensuring that Christian Aid is visible and contributes to strategic decisions in the sectors as may be required
- Proactive and able to gather intelligence working closely with different sectors and platforms including unsolicited opportunities through well package ideas and learning from previous programmes.
- Effective Humanitarian and sustainable livelihood projects delivered with high impact, in line with agreed aims & quality, country strategy and with funds used for designated purposes.
- Humanitarian and Sustainable Livelihood projects supervised and managed successfully in compliance with minimum humanitarian standards and in line with organizational financial policies and procedures.
- Accountable leadership on developing funding proposals, including assembling and managing proposal development teams in close working relationship with the Program Funding Manager, Head of Programme and Country Director focused on Humanitarian and sustainable livelihood interventions.
- Strong linkages maintained between Christian Aid and partners work and advocacy, communications, and fundraising activities in the UK and elsewhere.
- Have responsibility for budget management and budgetary decisions ensuring that expenditure is in line with approved field level agreements.
- Responsibility of risk management and ensuring that the programme remains within allowable threshold.
- Responsibility of leading and keeping the Humanitarian team motivated and engaged to deliver at their best including responsibility for duty of care to the team.
- Expected travel per annum: Up to 75 days
- On call/unsocial hours: Yes, in event of Christian Aid response to humanitarian emergency.
- A key function of the role is to grow funding portfolio for the Humanitarian and Sustainable
- Livelihood Programme and manage partnership with existing donor partners ensuring high-quality implementation while building and maintaining sound relationships with key stakeholders both externally and internally.
- The post-holder oversees work with partner organisations to ensure the humanitarian response is coordinated effectively in line with country strategy and humanitarian policies.
- The post holder would be responsible for leading a team in delivering humanitarian interventions in Nigeria whilst working closely with the Head of programme in alignment with the country strategy.
- The post holder will be a member of the Christian Aid Nigeria Programme Senior Management Team and contribute to driving the strategy for the Nigeria country programme.
- External: The post-holder will liaise with Donors (ACT, DEC, FCDO, BHA, ECHO, etc) with high level of partnership engagement with tangible results. Expected to represent the organization at external meetings and also to the media as and when required.
- Internal: The post holder will be working closely with colleagues in the senior management team in the country office particularly with the Head of Programming in ensuring programme quality and strategy alignment, Humanitarian division and other Country / Geographic teams. The post-holder will have strong cross-organizational relationships with various work groups.
- Decision Making: Makes decisions regarding CA appeal funds within agreed parameters and in agreement with line/matrix managers. Leads on recruitment and management of staff in the team. Authorisation and signing of payments under the general supervision of the Country Director, in line with policy and procedures. Proposes action CA should take in its response to the humanitarian crisis or recovery and makes day-to-day decisions to guide the implementation and smooth running of the humanitarian programme he/she is managing.
- Budgetary/savings responsibility, Yes: This includes making programmatic and administrative adjustments, ensuring rolling plans and budgets are written and presented for agreement, overseeing, Institutional, DEC, ACT and other Christian Aid reporting, and agreeing on necessary support to partners.
Applied skills / Knowledge and Expertise:
- Degree or equivalent in relevant technical discipline.
- Knowledge and experience of emergency relief, rehabilitation and recovery programme issues.
- Knowledge of global development issues, including policy and advocacy topics and familiarity with emergency problems relevant to the country or region.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, gender and the livelihoods approaches in relief and recovery.
- Professional experience living and working in a disaster-affected country.
- Experience of strategic planning and management of large and complex budgets.
- Relevant experience of emergency project/programme management working with and through local partners.
- Experience in Public speaking and/or working with the media.
- Experience in distance management of staff.
- Knowledge of capacity building tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of Sphere and Red Cross Code of Conduct, awareness of CHS.
- Knowledge and experience with funding partner engagement including institutional donors
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Relevant post-graduate degree in development or humanitarian discipline.
- Knowledge of the role of churches and ecumenical organizations in relief and development.
- Experience of advocacy on the development and humanitarian issues
- Knowledge of the political, social and economic context of the region and the development issues and challenges it faces.
- The post holder is responsible for overall leadership of humanitarian work in a particular country and is expected to work with initiative and innovation, using analytical skills and their own judgement to recommend high-level humanitarian programme and funding decisions for the organisation in consultation with a wide range of country team and humanitarian colleagues and partner organisations.
Developing Self and others:
- The post holder is expected to work independently with limited supervision, providing leadership and influencing strategies within the region and ensuring the upholding of humanitarian standards and principles by Christian Aid staff and partners. Key skills required are being able to effectively manage from a distance as well as be able to influence the decisions of colleagues at a range of seniority levels.
- The post holder should be able to work with minimal supervision.
- The post holder will guide others on complying with Christian Aid’s policies and procedures and will be able to work alongside junior, peer and senior colleagues in this capacity.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th December, 2021.
Interview Date 12th January 2022.