Janitor at U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Janitor - All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-135
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: LE - 1305 2
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-2
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM - FS is CC. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent performs janitorial duties on the Embassy Compound and all U.S. Government (USG) leased/owned properties.
- Job holder is responsible for cleaning unclassified space.
- Receives expendable janitorial supplies from GSO Storeroom; as well as responsible for treatment and cleaning, restroom cleaning, high cleaning, wall cleaning, window cleaning, and deep cleaning of all Embassy Compound spaces.
- Job holder reports directly to the Facility Management (FAC) Janitorial/Gardening Supervisor.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Primary School is required.
- Two (2) years experience in commercial/office buildings cleaning is required.
- Knowledge of current cleaning methods and materials as well as knowledge of safe handling of industry standard cleaning chemicals is required.
- Must be able to read and understand janitorial supply instructions, materials, and equipment.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Limited knowledge Speaking/Reading/Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be a team player and work independently with good customer service skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
NGN 2,621,252 (USD 22,682) / Annum
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 16th December, 2022.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the "APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Primary School Certificate
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Important Information and Notice
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria