Legal Advisor at Stanbic IBTC Bank
Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa's financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Advisor, Business and Commercial Clients (BCC)
Job ID: 61581
Location: Lagos Island, Lagos
Work Arrangement: Fully Office Based
Job Sector: Banking
- To effectively manage and mitigate the legal risks faced by the BCC business by providing value-added legal advisory services to the business and implementing adequate controls cascading down from the Head BCC & CS.
- To support the BCC business in operationalizing and aligning its strategy and contracting process.
Key Responsibilities / Accountabilities
Provide Legal Advice:
- Provide accurate, appropriate and case-specific, expert and specialist legal advice to business units (including but not limited to research, vetting and/or drafting) in accordance with the business unit’s mandate as well as the requirements of line management within Group Legal.
- Liaise as an intermediary between business units and external parties including external legal counsel.
- Action of court orders (within a reasonable period), subpoenas (within 24 hours or within the time period stipulated in the subpoena, whichever is the earlier), investigation reports (within 48 hours) and other legal process or ad hoc queries (within a reasonable period or within the timelines stipulated in the legal process) despite capacity constraints and bearing in mind that certain tasks are often urgent and require quick turnaround.
Mitigate Legal, Financial and Reputational Risks:
- Partner with the business to proactively address legal, financial and reputational risk at an early stage.
- Advise and obtain the relevant authority from stakeholders should the bank require legal representation/ intervention by external attorneys.
- Integrate legal risk capabilities to enable the Universal Bank.
- Timeous and effective actioning of court orders, subpoenas and reviewing of Group Investigation and Fraud Risk investigation reports.
- Ensure that internal stakeholders treat customers fairly.
- Escalate matters that require legal representation/ intervention by external attorneys to Litigation for their assistance in appointing an external attorney.
- To support Litigation in the appointment of external attorneys.
- Report operational risk issues which affect bank internal stakeholders and trends in the legal industry that may negatively impact on the bank.
Use and develop Standardized Frameworks and leverage Technology:
- Leverage technology (Office 365) to enable effective knowledge sharing and access to legal documentation.
- Assess, interrogate and review all sources of information to impart .consistent communications to stakeholders which will streamline the information sharing process and add credibility.
- Develop a streamlined framework and process in order to provide a seamless, consistent and standardized deliverable aligned to needs.
Ensure excellent stakeholder and customer service:
- Keep internal stakeholders up to date on the progress of matters, be accountable and keep to deadlines.
- Provide excellent and consistent stakeholder and customer experience.
- Connect the internal bank legal community to ensure consistency and standards-aligned to stakeholder and customer needs.
- Assess, interrogate and review all sources of information to impart consistent communications to stakeholders which will streamline the information sharing process and add credibility.
- Add value to both internal and external stakeholders by maintaining good relations.
- Provide a seamless stakeholder and customer experience.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree
- Relevant certifications and memberships in the Legal field would be an added advantage
- Minimum of four years working experience in a related role
- Comprehensive understanding of the legal environment and the application thereof in the business processes of the banking industry.
- Knowledge of the full spectrum of bank products and services.
- Good understanding and application of Operational Risk, Credit Risk and Legal risk and /or Risk Management and Basel 2.
- An understanding of the regulatory environment within the Banking industry.
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislation and SBSA’s risk and compliance universe.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply