Mechanic (Security Systems) - Abuja-2021-141S at the U.S. Embassy
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Mechanic (Security Systems) - All Interested Candidates (Regional Security Technician)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2021-141S
Promotion Potential: LE-8
Series / Grade: LE - 1210 8
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Work Schedule: Full-time - 40 hour per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply / Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM - FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required:
- 25% or less
- Incumbent must be willing to travels to any part of the world to attend in service training as requested by the OIC/TSO Abuja to maintain proficiency on security systems.
- Incumbent performs inspections, installations, preventative maintenance, and emergency repair of unclassified technical security, counterterrorism, and life-safety equipment deployed by Diplomatic Security (DS) at U.S. diplomatic missions overseas.
- Studies and make recommendations for ways to improve the effectiveness of the security systems at U.S. diplomatic missions in the Engineering Services Office (ESO) LAGOS including constituent posts.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of five (5) years of hands-on field experience in major repairs and installation of electrical and heavy-duty mechanical equipment, CCTV, public address, AVBCS, reading and interpreting architectural and engineering design drawings is required.
- Knowledge and/or experience in installing, troubleshooting and repairing electrical and electronic systems is required; hydraulic and/or pneumatic equipment; in working with different types of steel, concrete and masonry wall construction, anchors and bolts is required. Must be able to use knowledge and skills to rectify problems associated with security equipment independently.
- Good working knowledge reading/writing/speaking English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
The skills listed below are required:
- Must hold a valid Nigeria driver’s license.
- Ability to use MS Excel, Access, and Word software and Internet search engines.
- Must be able to read blueprints and schematic diagrams of electrical and mechanical drawings, minor adjustments, and repairs. Must be able to apply knowledge of above in the installation and M&R to FE/BR doors and windows.
- Ability to use special lifting equipment and/or coordination of unskilled laborers. The nature of work may require working from a ladder, in crawl spaces, above ceiling areas and other non-office areas of a building structure.
- Ability to deal with upset or difficult clients while keeping own temper / composure.
- Ability to assure upset / angry clients that their concerns will be addressed while not promising actions / results that are inconsistent with Mission practices.
- Ability to employ a problem-solving approach to difficult issues rather than assigning blame.
- Ability to maintain objectivity in difficult situations.
- Must be available for frequent travel. The position may travel alone or as part of a regional security team.
- Ability to use electronic test equipment.
- Ability to present a friendly, helpful, patient and caring impression to customers.
- Ability to talk and relate to U.S. and local personnel from a variety of backgrounds and Mission offices.
- Ability to be firm but tactful when explaining policy or limitations on resources.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
NGN 8,664,538 / USD $42,570 Annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “"APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position:
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Primary School Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Certificate or License.
For EFMs, in addition to the above:
- Copy of Orders / Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information - the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria
Application Deadline 7th January, 2022.