Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Mercy Corps Nigeria recruitment for a Human Resources Manager in Abuja
Mercy Corps Nigeria recruitment for a Human Resources Manager in Abuja
Aug 14, 2019, 11:02 AM
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Human Resources Manager - Nigeria Location: Abuja, Nigeria Program / Department Summary
- The Human Resource Department is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within Mercy Corps Nigeria. This includes but is not limited to: Talent Acquisition & development; employee engagement coordination; country wide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; country wide performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life, etc)
- The Human Resources Manager provides leadership of the human resource and organizational development function in Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- He/s ensures the overall provision of HR services, policies, and programs for the Nigeria Country Office. This includes Developing, implementing and managing HR processes and procedures in accordance with Nigeria policy laws / standards; leadership of the HR Team; Supporting the driving of initiatives and projects aimed at ensuring the MCN Team is as happy & productive as possible at all times; and ensuring HR documentation is compliant with all donor policies. In addition, the HR Manager builds the capacity of all team members across all offices.
- S/he provides support and advises the Country Director on HR issues.
- The HR Manager works closely with all team members including Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to bring efficiency in Nigeria HR procedures.
- Establish annual HR work plan, set priorities, monitor work progress and ensure results are achieved according to schedule and set standards
- Liaise with HQ, regional and country offices to support and contribute to HR strategy implementation
- Provide technical leadership to the country HR team including reviewing and supervising the work of the HR team and setting of annual capacity development plans for each team member
- Strategic oversight of all Mercy Corps Human Resources processes inclusive of Talent acquisition and development, Recruitment & Selection, performance management, Compensation and benefits, Employee relation, HR Policy and processes, grievances and counselling and stakeholder Management.
- Develop, implement and monitor the interpretation and application of new human resources systems, practices and procedures
- Help design optimal program and shared services staffing plans
- Ensure recruiting and hiring practices are in compliance with government regulations and organizational policies
- Organize, lead and document post-recruitment conversations with managers and candidates.
- Ensure that orientation is conducted for each newly hired national and expatriate team members consistent with global guidance including MC Essentials, Code of Conduct and Security and a review of all relevant policies and handbooks.
- Draft required position descriptions and adverts and ensure advertise via appropriate channels in Nigeria
- Coordinate with hiring managers to ensure all hiring requests are complete according to Recruiting Policies and Procedures of Mercy Corps.
- Review recruitment results and support in salary break down and offer letters to candidates
- Provide innovative country level compensation and benefits administration
- Ensure all country staff are covered on all relevant insurances
- Review salary scales & benefits packages and bench mark against the market on an annual basis
- Ensure all merit based pay increases are done as and when required
- Conduct job evaluations on new and existing positions and manage country wide job audits to ensure equity and competitiveness within the job market
- Provide required support during assigned expatriate recruitment activities
- Act as HR partner to all Mercy Corps Nigeria Team members
- Using available HR data agree and deploy annual employee relations calendars to provide a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale and motivation within our offices.
- Alongside our legal counsel and Country Director, manage all human resource related legal issues in compliance with Nigeria labor law.
- Proactively update senior management on any issues & grievances and ensure efficient and transparent solutions that protect both Mercy Corps Nigeria Team members and Mercy Corps interests in accordance with policies, regulations and procedures and global guidelines in term of safeguarding.
- During all parts of the human resource life cycle, promote the Mercy Corps Nigeria goals and targets for gender equity and cultural diversity
- Manage and maintain office/work spaces in such a way that fosters a harmonious work environment that reinforces Mercy Corps’ culture of innovation, influence and impact
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback and assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Support management’s goal of continuous capacity development of national staff through the provision of internal and external trainings.
- Support and collaborate with Ethics & Assurance Manager on investigations and disciplinary meetings
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Partner with leadership to promote a safe and inclusive work environment that, regardless of the context, is consistent with Mercy Corps’ culture of care
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Supervisory Responsibility: The HR Team
- Reports Directly To: Country Director
- Works Directly With: Senior Management, Ethics & Assurance Manager, HQ HR Team, HQ Talent Acquisition Team, Program Leads, Middle Managers, and hiring managers
- BA in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field; MA preferred
- 5+ years' experience managing HR functions for mid-sized organization preferably with an international organization
- Highly motivated with ability to analyze information and problem solving
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail and ability to deal with confidential information in a discrete manner
- Strong presentation and communication skills, oral and written
- Proficiency in computer applications to include MS Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of USAID and other donors policies and procedures
- 3 years senior level experience in strategic HR
- Professional Qualification / Certification
- In depth knowledge of Nigeria employment practices
- The successful Human Resource Manager will have the ability to multitask, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team.
- S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate an ability to communicate, assume leadership, and make solid decisions.
- S/he will possess a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity.
- S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of Mercy Corps.
- The HR Manager is based in the capital city Abuja. The location is generally secure. Housing, health care, water, electricity and consumer goods are all reasonably accessible and there are good international
- and domestic travel options from Abuja Airport. Air travel is necessary to get to some field locations. Mobile phones services are widely available. Internet is available in all Mercy Corps offices with some inconsistencies in the most remote sites. This position requires travel by road and air to field offices.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on short term assignments. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts