Nursing Assistant at the International Organization for Migration
International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental andnon-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for thebenefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nursing Assistant
Location: Benin City, Edo
Organizational Unit: Migration Health Division
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term (SST) 6 Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Under the overall supervision of the Migration Health Officer (MHO) and the direct supervision of the Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Benin City, Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide general assistance with the daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations such as:
- Checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity; and,
- Blood, urine or sputum collection as required.
- Assisting as Chaperone and medical Counselling
- Support in TB management; Directly Observed Treatment Short Course (DOTS)
- Support Infection prevention and control mechanisms
- Support pre-departure procedures and medical movements
- Support documentation, certification and information transmission
- Transport of samples to the laboratory in a proper and safe manner
- Liaise with the laboratory, receive results and reports in a timely manner
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Provide support and general information to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
- The migration health assessment, specially focusing on Chest Xray, Immunization and sputum testing for those requiring it
- Treatments and referrals.
- Support Nurses with proper identification and follow up by:
- Comprehensive history taking
- Accurate and thorough Biodata collection
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow the Health Assessment Programmes’ check lists and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Assist Nurses in medical emergency management as well as with chronic case management and related procedures.
- Assist the team with checking medical invoices.
- Prepare list of medical drugs and supplies for ordering as requested by the Migration Health Physician or Migration
- Health Nurse, assist in inventory taking, confirm and receive ordered drugs and supplies; all in close coordination with the administrative and finance teams.
- Arrange for specialist consultations and ensure receipt of specialist reports as assigned.
- Support proper and accurate record keeping of applicants throughout the migration health assessment process, including uploading medical reports on the required databases.
- Perform national medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in Nursing, with at least three years of relevant work experience; or,
- Desirable: Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from accredited institution with one-year relevant work experience required.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, immunizations, mental health, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage
- Experience in working in an international organization.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory.
- Ability to work under time constraints and deadlines in challenging settings.
- Experience in working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in dealing with UN policies, procedures and operations is desirable.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Good knowledge of clinical care especially in the Primary or secondary Health Care settings.
- Good communication skills and proven ability in working in a team.
- English Language is required (Oral and Written)
- Desirable: Working knowledge of the local language
Behavioural - The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators Level 1:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications via email to: [email protected] using "SVN2022.161 Benin City. Nursing Assistant" as the subject of the mail.
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th December, 2022.
Important Information and Notice
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers, and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, or other fee).
- IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station and within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, confirmation of all documents, and security clearances.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply