Policy Officer (Liaison & Data Analysis) at the African Union (AU)
The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organization of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Policy Officer (Liaison & Data Analysis)
Requisition ID: 1089
Location: Khartoum, Sudan
Reports to: Principal Policy Officer, Intelligence Analysis
Directorate / Department: Continental Operational Centre in Khartoum
Division: Office of the Deputy Executive Director, Research & Capacity Building Unit
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Number of Positions: 10
Purpose of Job
- The Policy Officer (Liaison & Data Collection) collects data on human trafficking/migrant smuggling and other related transnational organized crimes from a variety of sources, including law enforcement databases and surveillance and intelligence networks and prepares it for further analysis by the Principal Policy Officer (Intelligence Analysis).
- The Policy Officer (Liaison & Data Collection) will perform the following duties:
- Develop annual activity work-plans for his/her assigned region in line with the Centre’s strategic goals, objectives and priorities.
- Collect data on human trafficking/migrant smuggling and other related transnational organized crimes from national and regional law enforcement agencies and other stakeholders in the intelligence community.
- Process and manipulate data sets on human trafficking/migrant smuggling and other related transnational organized crimes compiled from law enforcement agencies.
- Maintain relevant computerized databases.
- Liaise with national law enforcement agencies and other stakeholders in the intelligence community to ensure the constant flow of data.
- Participate in organizing regional and continental workshops, seminars and conferences;
- Prepare charts, graphs and other outputs for reporting and presentation of various data.
- Assemble and examine original statistical material to ensure accuracy, clarity and validity, and make appropriate adjustments.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal Policy Officer (Intelligence Analysis).
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree in a numerate discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or Survey Methodology or other related disciplines with a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience in working with survey and analysis of secondary data in the security sector.
- A Masters level of education combined with a minimum of two (2) years of continuous and combined experience is also acceptable.
- Experience in data management in a security organization or similar.
- Strong analytical skills and mathematical ability.
- A clear understanding of statistical terms and concepts
- Written and oral communication skills
- Planning and Organizing: Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Ability to identify priority activities and assignments and adjust priorities as required;
- Ability to work under pressure, stay on track and meet deadlines.
- Personal commitment, goal oriented and drive for results, flexibility and respect for diversity.
- Ability to operate in a multicultural environment.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit
- Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish). Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including statistical packages, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications and experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, and Word.
- Ability to identify, extract, process, analyze and disseminate statistical data.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Change Management.
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Analytical thinking and problem solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
- Drive for results
- Continuous improvement focus
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 16,819.20.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 19th September, 2022.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply