Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Programme Analyst - Small Arms and Light Weapons Project (SALWP) at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Programme Analyst - Small Arms and Light Weapons Project (SALWP) at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Feb 13, 2020, 12:13 PM
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Programme Analyst - Small Arms and Light Weapons Project (SALWP) Job ID: 28557 Location: Abuja Practice Area Job Family: Crisis Prevention and Recovery SMALL ARMS Grade: NOA Vacancy Type: FTA Local Posting Type: Common System Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Background The effective control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) is one of the major global prerequisites for peace building, sustainable development and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Peace and security challenges in West Africa are primarily about preventing conflicts and bringing development. A major lesson UNDP learned over the years is that where small arms and armed violence dominate, development suffers. The fight against the trafficking of small arms and light weapons continues to prove a major challenge to the growth and development path for many countries despite earlier initiatives undertaken by different partners, UNDP, EU ECOWAS and government to provide support to member states. Post-election violence, recurrent armed violence, resurgent of the Boko Haram, activities of bandits, kidnappers and other organized crimes are a manifestation of the easy availability of SALW in the sub region. Thus, the Regional Small Arms project seeks to support ECOWAS in its capacity to effectively address factors of instability and reinforce a proactive approach to peacebuilding, conflict prevention and resolution in West Africa. It is an intervention implemented by UNDP Nigeria Country Office to support the implementation of the Peace Security and Stability Mandate (PSSM) which Specifically, Small Arms Project seeks to advance implementation of the component "Practical Disarmament" of the ECOWAS Conflict Prevention Framework in Member-States (ECPF) in line with the ECOWAS convention on small arms The position is under the overall supervision of the Regional Coordinator/Team Lead and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative (Programme), the incumbent will be primarily providing support in coordinating implementation of the Small Arms project activities for the OCWAR-T, ECOWAS/ EU/ GIZ/ UNDP and other intervention of the small arms project in Nigeria and African region. He/she will also provide technical support to the team lead in the management of the project. The incumbent provides support to the Regional Lead to coordinate the activities of the respective national coordinators to ensure smooth implementation of project deliverables. He/she will work in close collaboration with CO management, Programme and Operations teams of UNDP Nigeria to deliver on project results and ensure prompt reporting in line with the programme and partnerships agreements. Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting the strengthening of the existing NATCOMs capacity in the project countries including Nigeria to perform their functions in accordance with the provisions of the ECOWAS convention;
- The position requires close collaboration with project staff in other countries of project implementation (Burkina Faso, Cote d’lvoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Liberia and Sierra Leone) to ensure smooth implementation.
- Support partnerships coordination between relevant stakeholders i.e. ECOWAS, European Union, GIZ, and in liaison with UNDP SALW regional office in the project countries;
- Support the coordination efforts of the respective project countries in the MRU and
- Sahel to deliver a significant reduction in the proliferation of Small Arms and Light weapons and substituting them with concrete development interventions which affect livelihoods positively;
- Provides support to the project team lead in the coordination of Project Steering Committee meetings and composed of high-level representatives from the European Union, ECOWAS, GIZ, GFFO and UNDP.
- Ensures preparation of projects briefs, analysis and presentation of project information for preparation of progress reports as well as accurate financial reporting on all the project activities.
- Provide support to ensure quality assurance for the project in-country and for monitoring project deliverables based on the quarterly reports.
- Provide support in the day-to-day administration and programme of the project, providing direction and validating project deliverables of the NATCOMs for the approval by the National Technical Committee.
- Support national coordinators to formulate Annual Work Plans to ensure efficient implementation of project deliverables.
- Provide support to ensure the effective implementation of the programme through the provision of appropriate guidelines and development of programme personnel in accordance with UNDP's policies and procedures.
- Provision of guidance to the implementing partners on routine implementation of projects.
- Presentation of information for audit, supports implementation of audit recommendations.
- Creation of required project entries in Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project.
- Provides support on ensuring quality project reports, quarterly and annually for partner in line with donor reporting guidelines.
- Support the team lead and serve as liaison between UNDP and partners to ensure that national partners such as the NATCOMs and the CSO's are constantly involved in the implementation and dissemination of information.
- Provides programme support in the coordination of National Technical Committee meetings composed of representatives from the ECOWAS, EU, NATCOMs, CSOs and relevant stakeholders.
- Actively participate in the implementation of the Partnership and Resource Mobilization (PRM) Strategy for the project
- Support team lead in the negotiation, drafting and revision of agreements with donors.
- Conduct external and internal analysis for assessing additional opportunities in resource mobilization for respective NATCOMS.
- Ensure communication of development results of the project are shared with the partners as well as within UNDP.
- Actively participate to identify and formulate lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated into broader ECOWAS knowledge management efforts.
- Ensure lessons from project are shared as contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Update baselines, indicators, targets and results for all outputs under the Small arms project.
- 6. Facilitates Communications, knowledge building and knowledge sharing as required by the development partners, focusing on the following results:
- The key results will have an impact on the coordination of the respective project activities in the MRU and Sahel to deliver significant reduction in the proliferation of Small Arms and Light Weapons and substituting them with development interventions which affect livelihoods positively; and strengthening of the existing NATCOMs to perform their functions in accordance with the provisions of the ECOWAS convention.
- Help achieve the regional project objectives and provide sound analytical inputs and advice with respect to coordination of activities involving multinational partners/donors.
- Advanced University Degree (Master's) in Social Sciences, Business Management, Accounting, Sociology, International Relations, Political Science or related field.
- Good understanding of UNDP, ECOWAS and EU’s rules and procedures, financial system and programme implementation module in the ECOWAS sub region.
- Good knowledge of UNDP programme management procedures is critical. Knowledge of ECOWAS, EU and GIZ programme implementation procedures is an advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in project fund management and budget management in UN or NGO at the national or international level. Demonstrated experience in programme management and coordination, multi-donor relations and communications for development.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation is essential. Sound knowledge of Small Arms and light weapons related issues and good knowledge of regional instruments on Small Arms and Light Weapons and Ammunition management.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
- Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
- Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues
- Analyses and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyses information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Basic Research and Analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical speciality relating to the position
- Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Establishing effective client relationships
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidate should: Click here to apply Note
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced
- Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process
Application Deadline 20th February, 2020.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts