Programme Associate - Joint SDG Fund on Social Protection (SB3) at The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Oct 26, 2020, 7:19 PM
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate - Joint SDG Fund on Social Protection (SB3)
Job ID: 33403
Practice Area - Job Family: Management - Programmes
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1-year with possibility of renewal
- The UN joint programme on Institutionalizing Social Protection for Accelerated SDG implementation in Nigeria, is a two-year programme targeted to strengthen social protection at the federal level in Nigeria. This programme is borne out of SDGs concept of leave no one behind. The main focus of this programme is the removal of key social exclusion factors mitigating against access and utilization of basic social services by the poor and vulnerable. The programme will therefore focus on addressing and building capacity of duty bearers and right holders to ensure girls and boys, persons living with disabilities and women are properly empowered and protected.
- The National Social Protection policy in Nigeria recognizes the need for both a systemic transformation (long-term) and a blueprint for accelerated implementation (short-term) towards universal social protection. The joint programme will strengthen the right-based approach to social protection by supporting the institutionalization and legislation of the social protection system in Nigeria. The joint programme will support the identification and facilitate the adoption of financial strategies to effectively implement the National Social Protection Policy.
- The joint programme will guide the establishment and build capacity of state innovation and accelerator SDGs offices with proven track of implemented innovation solutions using social protection for overcoming bottlenecks and expanding financing in order to accelerate SDG achievement.
- This joint programme is being implemented by four UN Agencies, United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF), International Labour Organization (ILO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP and World Food Programme (WFP) with each agency having a specific component towards realizing this programme. UNDP is focusing on establishment and build capacity of state SDGs offices to be innovative and accelerate innovative solutions using social protection to overcome bottlenecks and expanding financing in order to accelerate SDG achievement in the state.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support for effective management of the consultations/workshops, dialogues, meetings
- Identifies strategic programme areas of cooperation and execution of projects in the areas of Social protection including joint programming with UN agencies.
- Collaborate with Office of Senior Special Assistant to the President on SDGs (OSSAP-SDGs), UNICEF, ILO and WFP as well as the states to schedule consultations/workshops, dialogues and meeting
- Take minutes of each consultations/workshops, dialogues and meetings.
- Schedule all the zoom consultation meetings and take attendance of the participants through creation of online registration portal and taking a screen shot of all the participants.
- Liaise with all the participating state on the participation of the key stakeholders in the state especially key government officials for each consultations/workshops and meetings.
- Assist with the compilation of briefs, analysis and presentation of activity information for preparation of reports.
- Researches, analyses, verifies, and synthesizes data and information in support of preparing reports pertaining to the initiatives.
- Provide support and input in conducting meetings, recording of minutes and report writing.
- Communication with partners and stakeholders to ensure timely organization and facilitation of activities relating to activity implementation.
- Support the unit in the implementation of the SDGs related initiatives
- Supporting the arrangement of other stakeholder meetings and reporting outcomes
- Follow up with participants to ensure full representation and participation of the key stakeholders and key government officials.
- Liaise and work with all participating states, OSSAP-SDGs, UNICEF, ILO and WFP for a successful programme.
- Support the main consultant to prepare the reports of each consultations held
- Support to states in planning and capacity building
- Carry out any other related units’ duties as may be assigned by Economic Advisor
- Support to states and the FCT in planning and capacity building, and other related units work.
Required Skills and Experience
- First Degree in Social Sciences, or any related courses. A Master’s Degree will be an added advantage.
- Four years’ experience in Development Work
- Knowledge of SDGs issues at both national and sub-national government
- Demonstrated working experience with government institutions in Nigeria.
- Computer literacy skills
- Good written and oral communication skills in English
- Knowledge of at least on Nigerian language
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Apply & Adapt (Recognized contributor with demonstrated ability).
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Execute & Learn (Perform defined tasks).
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to organise, plan workshops/consultation and pay attention to details.
- Ability to get things done.
Technical / Functional
Excellent communication skills:
- Ability to have extensive interaction with government officials, organization leaders, staff members and the public.
- Must demonstrate personal initiative as well as the ability to work well in a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams, in complex organizations and ability to deliver quality results while meeting deadlines under shifting priorities.
Advocacy / Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda:
- Support the preparation of information for advocacy/consultation
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy/consultation for a variety of audiences;
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for UNDP’s advocacy / consultation efforts
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Important Applicant Information
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
Application Deadline 9th November, 2020 (Midnight New York, USA).