Programme Management Officer at the United Nations
The United Nations is the one international organization with the reach and vision capable of solving global problems. The United Nations Foundation links the UN's work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women's empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Management Officer
Job Opening Number: 21-Programme Management-UNITED NAT-165999-J-Abuja (E)
Employment Type: Temporary Job Opening
Department / Office: United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
Staffing Exercise: N/A
Organization Setting and Reporting
- This position is located in the Capacity Building Section of the E-commerce and Digital Economy Branch, in the Division on Technology and Logistics of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
- The post is financed by project funds and is stationed in Abuja, Nigeria, hosted by the ECOWAS Commission.
- The Programme Officer will report to the Chief of the Capacity Building Section and will be working closely with officials from the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in Abuja, Nigeria.
- The focus of the job is the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes, operations and other activities relevant to e-commerce development.
- The position responds to UNCTAD's activities under the Regional E-commerce Strategy Development Project in ECOWAS, which will support the region in its efforts to use technology to accelerate structural change and development, and foster regional integration, including through economic diversification, job creation and more inclusive trade activities.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, and in particular the Regional E-commerce Strategy Development Project in ECOWAS, supporting the ECOWAS Commission in its implementation ; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating in-country workshops and online seminars, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources, including ECOWAS policies, legislations, programmes/projects and available statistics in areas relevant to e-commerce, as well as mapping of regional initiatives.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Assists in policy development, including the review and analysis of e-commerce issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Management, Economics, or a related field. A first-level university Degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience acquired in governance or public administration in West Africa is desirable.
- Previous experience in e-commerce related policies is desirable.
- Previous experience working with an intergovernmental organization in Africa, such as ECOWAS is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to trade especially in developing countries.
- Knowledge of capacity constraints and development challenges pertaining to e-commerce in Africa.
- Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases.
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Fluency in French is desirable.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency based interview.
- This position is for an initial duration of 6 months, starting as soon as possible. Extension of appointment will be subject to availability of funds, continuation of mandate and satisfactory performance.
- The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training).
- The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts
Application Deadline 26th October, 2021.