Project Assistant at UNESCO
The United Nations is the one international organization with the reach and vision capable of solving global problems. The United Nations Foundation links the UN's work with others around the world, mobilizing the energy and expertise of business and non-governmental organizations to help the UN tackle issues including climate change, global health, peace and security, women's empowerment, poverty eradication, energy access, and U.S.-UN relations.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Project Assistant
Post Number: 6NGED0004PA
Parent Sector: Education Sector (ED)
Job Family: Education
Type of Contract: Project Appointment
Duration of Contract: 1 year
- Under the authority of the Director of UNESCO's Multisectoral Regional Office Abuja, the direct supervision of the National Project Officer for O3, the incumbent will contribute to the implementation of the O3 program.
- The O3 program, which began in 2018, will support the delivery of good quality comprehensive sexuality education that empowers adolescents and youth, while developing the skills, knowledge, attitudes, and competencies needed to prevent HIV, reduce early and unwanted pregnancies, and eliminate gender-based violence.
- The Project Assistant will provide administrative support to UNESCO's work in support of the O3 program in Nigeria.
- The Project Assistant will work with the O3 Project Team in Abuja, and collaborate with colleagues in Abuja, Dakar, regional and headquarters levels.
Overview of the Functions of the Post
Under the authority of the Regional Director of UNESCO Abuja Office, the supervision of the Senior Programme Specialist and the direct supervision of the O3 National Project Officer, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Prepare correspondence, letters or any other documents for government officials, international organizations and other external bodies, to be submitted to the Office Director via the National Project Officer and via the Senior Programme Specialist/Education Sector Head for signature;
- Support in the organization and day-to-day management of the Project team: organizing meetings, sending, receiving and distributing various correspondence, filing, maintaining a clean and safe working environment for staff;
- Process payment requests and monitor payment execution;
- Support the administration of recruitment processes, including selection, setting up meetings and reference checks;
- Support the organization of workshops and meetings: (i) Preparation of technical documents and materials such as briefing notes, programme invitations, resource materials, management of hotel arrangements, service provider contracts etc.
- Organize mission trips for staff;
- Assist in the commitment, payment and closing of contracts in the system by ensuring the requirement and completeness of supporting documents;
- Monitor contract performance, receipt of goods and services, verify compliance in relation to requisition specifications;
- Handling of participants: reservation of funds, purchase of airline tickets, payment of per diems.
Skills and Competencies:
- Very good knowledge of office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.).
- Ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially.
- Ability to design, work and execute tasks independently with thoroughness, care and method.
- Ability to work with and within multicultural teams.
- Ability to work under pressure, flexibility and adaptability to work schedules and priorities according to workload, emergencies and deadlines.
- Very good knowledge (oral and written) of English and/or French and good knowledge of the other language.
- Knowledge of one of a local language:
Skills and Competencies:
Competencies (Core / Managerial):
- Accountability (C)
- Communication (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
Benefits and Entitlements
- UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Only candidates who are entitled to work in Nigeria may apply to this position.
- Duration of contract: 1 year, with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.
- Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information.
- No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
- The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
- UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
- Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided
Application Deadline 13th February, 2022.