Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Project Manager Vacancy at Oxfam
Project Manager Vacancy at Oxfam
Jan 9, 2019, 6:47 PM
Oxfam is committed to ridding the world of poverty. We have a conviction that people are well capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own, once given the chance to do so. Which is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve men and women also in our work. We work together with other Oxfam affiliates to increase our impact on development issues. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Project Manager - PROSELL Location: Taraba Contract Type: Full time one year contract (Renewable) Job Level: C1 national Reporting: This position reports to the Country Director Job Purpose
- The jobholder will manage Oxfam-EU funded PROSELL Project and lead on related strategy development.
- The Project Manager will be the main liaison person for PROSELL project activities between Oxfam and The Federal and State Ministries of Agriculture and Rural Development officials, Ministries of Women Affairs and Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) and private sector and Agricultural Research Institutes involved in the project implementation.
- Leadership of Oxfam PROSELL project management at all levels (strategic, tactical and operational) ensuring that the project is driven by primary stakeholder needs and interests
- Lead Household Economy Assessment, food security and nutrition assessments, and rapid care analysis in PROSELL areas and coordinate implementation of recommendations.
- Actively represent PROSELL in the quarterly Cadre Harmonise analysis, Regular Cash Working Groups and Food Security Cluster at the national level
- Design social protection/safety net
- Support gathering and sharing of good practice within thematic groups that are integrating disaster risk reduction, social protection/safety nets and sustainable livelihoods approaches to work in areas of chronic poverty and inequality.
- Facilitate learning and contribute to knowledge management across our program, Oxfam International, and with partners and external organisations.
- Provide strategic analysis and direction through high quality advice, analysis of food security trends, and synthesis of learning from external sources and our programs to help the organisation make strategic program, policy and campaign choices
- As a member of the Programme Management Team (PMT) and leader of the PROSELL management team, contribute to overall development of longer-term strategy and management of the Oxfam programme in Nigeria
- Keep up to date with national and regional trends in the area of resilient livelihoods, food security and agricultural value chain development order to fully understand the context within which Oxfam operates (present and future)
- Work with relevant actors to establish yield insurance scheme
- Prepare capacity statements, concept notes and project proposals ensuring they are aimed at achieving resilient income and food security for small holder farmers especially women and youth
- Ensure that proposals developed for specific calls are in line with co-financing targets and priorities of the PROSELL project.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, mid-term and annual reports to be submitted to Oxfam and existing as well as potential donors.
- Ensure PROSELL project achieves its planned outcomes, and provide an effective framework for project work
- Pro-actively share information within the Nigeria and PROSELL project teams and ensure that team members are coordinating effectively over activity planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Ensure delivery of PROSELL project reports and donor reports to quality standards and deadlines
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is gender-sensitive, and promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work.
- Commission and supervise research or analysis to underpin programming and advocacy on rural livelihood and related areas
- Share information within region and to other Oxfam colleagues related to PROSELL and advocacy issues in Nigeria
- Facilitate the implementation of counter fraud, anti-aid diversion and safeguarding recommendations for operational excellence.
- Ensure adequate complaint and response mechanism is in place and functioning
- Ensure adherence to Oxfam quality standards and integration of best practice in livelihood programme in close liaison with Oxfam technical advisers, finance, MEAL and other support staff
- Ensure that PROSELL management information systems are maintained accurately and up to date
- Build and manage relationships and partnerships with producer organisations, NGOs, research institutions, private sector and other key stakeholders in the Agricultural and rural sectors in Nigeria.
- Provide and facilitate technical support, training and information to partners to enable them to effectively use Oxfam resources and best practices in project implementation
- Represent Oxfam in coordination meetings related to PROSELL and some external relationships with donors and other key stakeholders
- Ensure regular communication with counterparts and government organisations.
- Line manage Oxfam PROSELL project staff in TARABA State
- Provide and facilitate technical support, training and information to PROSELL project staff and partners to enable them to effectively use Oxfam resources as well as best practices in programme planning and implementation.
- Roll out trainings on Oxfam Code of Conduct for staff and non-Oxfam staff involved in PROSELL implementation
- Direct responsibility for budget management of up to 2.5- 3 million EUR project per year including significant donor funds.
- Ensure that budgets are drawn up for all activities, and that costs are kept within budgets, doing a monthly budget monitoring (BVA), quarterly analysis of trends and timely budget reallocation.
- Develop a supply plan and manage PROSELL procurement in compliance with donor requirements and in relevance with time bound agricultural activities with minimum to zero waiver.
- A Master degree in Agriculture, Agri-economics, Food Security, Climate Change or a related field of study
- 8-10 years field experience in food security, agriculture, and resilient livelihoods, including experience in emergency response and recovery following natural disaster.
- Minimum of 8 years “hands-on” working experience in managing development programmes
- 3 years of managing livelihoods and agricultural projects including ability to integrate private sector, rural financial management and nutrition components especially within an NGO setting in a coordinating capacity.
- Excellent knowledge of the political economy in Nigeria.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating Gender and Diversity issues in market based rural agric sector
- Strong skills in market based agricultural models and value chain approach from smallholder farmers’ perspective
- Experience in budgeting, budget monitoring and expenditure forecasting.
- High level of strategic and people management skills, able to support and mentor teams in their professional and personal growth and use a variety of strategies and approaches to motivate teams
- Ability to manage competing tasks
- Strong analytical skills and experience using a computerised information management system (Ms. Word, Excel etc.)
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English, able to represent Oxfam to donors and external institutions
- Ability to work effectively with others persuading, influencing, negotiating and supporting, following as required in order to achieve targets
- Applications not sent in the required format will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for assessment and interview.
- Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately as to the urgency of this position applications will be reviewed received, as such suitable candidates may be shortlisted and interviewed prior to closing date. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates who had applied for this role when it was earlier advertised need NOT apply again
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts