Quality Control / HSE Specialist at Releaf
Releaf invents both financial and food processing technology to increase smallholder harvest yields and create high-quality raw material supply chains for African Consumer Brands, starting in the $3B Nigerian vegetable oil market. We believe this layer of the economy is underdeveloped, valuable, and possible to scale quickly in. Our first patented technology is Kraken, Africa’s first industrial oil palm (nut) processor compatible with small holder varieties.
We aggregate small holder crops, process them with Kraken and sell high-quality vegetable oil to consumer Brands. 80% of oil palm supply comes from smallholders and Kraken can process 500 metric tons weekly. Releaf is led by Ikenna Nzewi and Uzo Ayogu, who have been friends and co-founders since college at Yale and Duke. Releaf is backed by Y Combinator, Kepple Africa, Bill Gates' Breakthrough Energy, and Samurai Incubate, amongst numerous HNIs including Justin Kan, Stephen Pagliuca, Iyin Aboyeji, and Jeff Ubben.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Quality Control / HSE Specialist
Location: Uyo, Akwa Ibom
Employment Type: Full-time
- The Quality Control / HSE Specialist willcontinuously review quality control processes, procedures, and capabilities in order to sustain the most cost-effective and efficient methods for meeting quality requirements, and making recommendations for improvement as appropriate.
- Lead root cause analysis and corrective and preventive actions for audit observations, product complaints, product non-conformances, in-process deviations issues related to process controls
- Review/approve routine change control requests, deviation, quality risk assessment as designated
- Review and approve suppliers / service providers including supporting with audits of critical suppliers where required
- Document results of deviation and complaint investigations, analysis, corrective actions and preventive actions
- Maintain quality records (equipment calibration and maintenance, training, deviation and complaint investigation, environmental monitoring, Certificate of Analysis, clean room certification etc.)
- Assist in incident investigation and reporting
- Write, review and modify, as needed, SOPs for compliance with appropriate regulations
- Prepare/revise operating procedures and specifications
- Assist in preparation and reviewing of key quality documents like SMF, Quality manual, Validation Master Plan, protocols and report
- Responsible for monitoring produce safety and quality throughout the production process.
- Manage corrective and preventive action processes; including failure, investigation and root-cause analysis regarding productquality.
- Responsible for managing quality standards on the production lines by liaising with the Manufacturing team..
- Ensure freshness, wholesomeness and cleanliness of all farm raw materials used in production.
- Responsible for creating, revising and maintaining a library of all departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and policies.
- Verify that all equipment is working and calibrated according to the annual calibration plan to ensure correct results delivery.
- Ensure the Implementation and management of the Integrated Management System (GMP, ISO 9001:2015, FSMS 22000 and HACCP) leading to Certification
- Ensure Specifications / Standards, Checks lists and records, Documents available for all elements of QMS and food safety systems, documented in manuals.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations and standards required by local law (SON, NAFDAC, Contractors, Customers, Health & Safety, Environmental, Product Quality, GMP, Labeling, Factory and Fire).
- Ensure that all products and procedures are in compliance with established specifications and regulatory standards while liaising with Government Regulatory Bodies.
- Continually improve the system, processes, and make suggestions for changes and improvements.
- Conducts routine inspection in all outlets, ensuring controls and documentation procedures.
- Ensure strict compliance to hygiene standards and quality protocol among staff.
- Ensure the quality consistency of final products by following up from raw materials to finished goods.
- Create an OSHA's type Risk Assessment template for factory processes & implementation plan
- Develop an OSHA's audit compliance Risk assessment report for Releaf operations
- Develop a Quality Management System for Releaf operations.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or related Degree
- 4 years of experience in Quality Control and HSE in an FMCG organization
- Strong food science/chemistry/process skills, nutrition, labeling regulations.
- In-depth knowledge in one or more of the key areas of Quality and QEHS
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and any supply chain software.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Good analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Supervisory and management experience.
- Attention to detail is essential.
- A skilled auditor of QEHS related management systems (ISO, BRC, FSSC)
- Experience in developing industry standard SOPs and Policies.
- Practical knowledge of Process Improvement methodologies such as Total Quality Management, Six Sigma etc.
- Practical knowledge of Food Safety Management and Lean Production
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organizational skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th April, 2022.