Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > Recent Job Vacancies at Médecins Sans Frontières, 29th January, 2019
Recent Job Vacancies at Médecins Sans Frontières, 29th January, 2019
Jan 29, 2019, 2:51 PM
Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions. We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: Mental Health Activity Manager Location: Ebonyi Contract Period: Indefinite Main Duties and Responsibilities
- In close collaboration with other medical team members, identifying the needs of MH support in the target population and participating in the definition, planning, organization and update of the appropriate MSF strategy and the Mental Health (MH) activities and its budget. Monitoring and evaluating MH support activities.
- Reviewing and developing the technical materials, tools, guidelines and documents, and coordinating and ensuring the implementation of all Mental Health standard protocols and procedures set by MSF in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for patients.
- Planning and supervising, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Coordinating and ensuring that Mental Health activities (in and outside health facilities), with the clients are performed with regular follow-up in order to provide the most appropriate treatment for clients with psycho social problems. Ensuring Mental Health team is calm and neutral during sessions regardless of personal feelings and/or beliefs and that the translators are trained about terminology and appropriate behaviour during sessions.
- Mapping and regularly updating the existing Mental Health services, including other INGO’s, local NGO’s, community groups and governmental health services, etc. and maintaining good and regular communication and collaboration with other components of the project according to objectives and context. Identifying possible advocacy issues and informing MC and PC before taking any action. (Note: Advocacy is not under Mental Health Activities Manager accountabilities)
- Ensuring in close collaboration with medical department, that MH department participates in counselling as well as Prevention Parent to Child Transmission (PPTCT) and Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VTC) activities when needed
- Participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep, statistical report, etc.) and reporting problematic situations and cases with the Medical Coordinator to help with decision making and problem resolution.
- Ensuring that psychiatric patients coming to MSF facilities receive proper treatment including psychotropic medication and psychosocial support either within an MSF program or thru referral to an appropriate resource.
- Degree/Master in Psychology or Social Work or MD degree with specialization in Psychiatry
- Essential working experience of at least two years as psychologist or other similar profession
- Desirable working experience with MSF or other NGOs. For OCP this is essential
- Desirable working experience in developing countries.
- Providing support to the Project Coordinator in the security management and the coordination tasks, ensuring a smooth relation with local and national authorities and contributing to the context analysis and follow-up according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to ensure the smooth running of the project.
- Representing MSF externally together with the Project Coordinator (PC) or alone (when delegated) and negotiating on behalf of the project coordination in close cooperation with the PC and based on beforehand agreed messaging. Assisting in safeguarding and promoting MSF’s image externally
- Monitoring, analyzing and reporting on key issues (security, risk, etc.) to the Project Coordinator and providing contextual information, through a sound knowledge of counterparts, parties, actors, authorities and military groups, in different administrations/parties and governorates/districts in order to improve understanding and decision making processes. Maintaining the security database and providing a biweekly context analysis based on recent incidents and developments
- Ensuring the continuity of relations/networking with local actors (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, media, etc.) and filing and updating field contacts and correspondence in order to ensure information sources accuracy and its availability on regular basis. Organizing advocacy contacts and appointments for the Project Coordinator.
- Assisting in exploratory missions and assessments as needed and participating in the development of security plans.
- Supports development of research propositions or communications content (reports, photography, social media content, research papers, etc.) that can be used to communicate to external audiences about the project experience and findings on Lassa Fever.
- Contributes to development of handover plans to ensure MSF activities are assumed by partners over the life of the project
- Keeps project coordinator and staff informed of important developments in the field of viral hemorrhagic fever, or related health conditions.
- Maintains records of content developed by the project for capitalization purposes
- Education University Diploma Level, preferably in the field of Social Sciences (Political Sciences, International Public Law, Anthropology, Economics, Public Health, Communications, etc.)
- Experience Essential: Experience in and exposure to working in a complicated political, security and humanitarian environment (in particular as it relates to healthcare)
- Essential: Experience in data collection, reporting and analysis.
- Desirable: two years previous experience in similar jobs in the field of humanitarian aid with MSF or other NGOs.
- Desirable: Management experience, experience in the fields of public health, experience with staff training & mentoring
- Knowledge of viral hemorrhagic fevers is an asset
- Languages - English essential (high level command oral and written), Igbo language desirable
- Knowledge Essential computer literacy (word, excel, Internet/social media)
- Excellent understanding of MSF’s principles and values
- Knowledge of and interest in humanitarian issues
- In-depth contextual knowledge and analysis skills
- High level of knowledge of local culture and customs
- Ensuring all data collected and entered to databases is consistently accurate and complete. Being responsible for ensuring that quality control queries of the database are followed up, ensuring identification of data entry errors and corrections. Immediately reporting to the supervisor, any anomalies in the database.
- Communicating regularly with the assisting in the (re)training when necessary, on proper registration of patients, proper filling of the various forms, clarifying queries, obtaining missing information and correcting errors, ensuring they have ongoing sufficient supplies of necessary hardcopy data collection forms
- Carrying out medical data collection and entry activities into the mission database recording all relevant clinical and demographic data on patients and ensuring data quality/reliability according to MSF protocols and maintaining confidentiality while producing the appropriate, updated documents for the medical team in order to support decision making processes.
- Performing data entry of all epidemiological information into select databases program and creating appropriate reports, providing data for project development purposes.
- Ensuring that all data entered has been authorized and that appropriate documentation has been received (register patient records, treatment monitoring, etc.). Ensuring that all data entry processes occur in a timely and efficient manner
- Education: Essential, higher education with proven computer literacy, Degree in Information and Technology (IT) or Mathematics field, desirable
- Experience: 2 years’ experience in data entry/analysis essential. Experience with NGO desirable.
- Languages: English Language essential, Igbo Language desirable
- The vacancy position is open to all residents of Nigeria.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts