Video Journalist at the Associated Press
The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day, more than half the world's population sees news from AP.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Videojournalist
- The Associated Press seeks a talented and aggressive visual journalist with a history of successful television and online video storytelling to join its team in West Africa as a videojournalist.
- Reporting to the West Africa senior producer, this videojournalist will primarily shoot, write and edit video – including LIVE video – stories from Nigeria for AP’s broadcast, digital and mobile customers and platforms. As a member of a dynamic, round-the-clock operation that covers Nigeria and West Africa, the successful candidate must also pitch, develop and research enterprise stories and contribute reporting in other media formats – including text, photos and audio – to help produce a competitive and comprehensive all-formats news report.
- The successful candidate will use video, graphics and editing techniques to deliver visually engaging journalism, and must also be prepared to travel – often at short notice - extensively, including outside of Nigeria, to cover breaking news.
- This newsperson must have the ability and willingness to work at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, since AP is a 24/7 operation.
The Successful Candidate will:
- Have a demonstrated history of success as a videojournalist, with a record of creating compelling visual journalism on deadline and the production of visual enterprise that is illuminating and entertaining.
- work among a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot, sports and enterprise video that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- Have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms.
- Routinely contribute to the text and photo report as coverage needs require and pursue innovative coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
- Have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- All applicants must be able to work in Nigeria or be able to gain permission to work in Nigeria.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language in addition to English is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on a complex, challenging story lines.
- Advanced-level professional competency in video shooting and non-linear editing, preferably with Adobe Premiere.
- Candidates must possess advanced individual technical skills in the creation of video content, as well as the ability to work within an all-formats team to apply those skills from start to finish on breaking news and short- and long-term projects.
- The successful candidate will be creative, innovative and agile, and work effectively in a deadline-driven, dynamic and competitive newsroom and field environment. Strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills, including the ability to prioritize work, are a must, as is strong news judgment and a quick reaction - at all hours - to breaking news.
- The successful candidate should have at least three years of full-time news experience as a video journalist at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 1st January, 2022. 11:59 PM EST.