Job descriptions Sample Templates How to do it yourself Words and Meanings Interview questions and answersJobs > NGO / Humanitarian > WPE Community Mobilization Assistant at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
WPE Community Mobilization Assistant at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Jan 10, 2020, 9:12 AM
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below: Job Title: WPE Community Mobilization Assistant Requisition ID: req7703 Location: Gwoza, Borno Sector: Women Protection & Empowerment Employment Category: Fixed Term Employment Type: Full-Time Open to Expatriates: No
Scope of Work
- S/he will work with communities to develop and implement plans to improve the safety and security for all individuals in the community.
- S/he will collaborate and coordinate with other partners to facilitate an effective multi-sectoral approach to addressing GBV.
- This component aims to facilitate a change in attitudes and behaviors that condone and perpetuate Gender-Based Violence: this involves encouraging men and women to reflectively examine gender roles and inequalities in order to support a safer environment for women and girls, and to facilitate gender-inclusive development in the community.
- The WPE Community Mobilization Assistant will be focal point in conducting of all awareness/community education component of IRC WPE programming.
- Play a lead role in the formation of community groups for response, empowerment and prevention activities.
- Work with the WPE Capacity building assistants, Comprehensive Women Center integration officers, Case Worker to facilitate information dissemination and sensitizations sessions to community groups, local partners and Community Based Organizations on GBV issues.
- Work with the Community Engagement Officer to design the contents and participate in awareness raising activities aimed at promoting changes in attitudes, behaviors and practices regarding gender, gender equality and GBV.
- Identify and strengthen strategies that promotes active community participation in the prevention and response interventions designed to address GBV.
- Identify advocacy concerns, Initiate and coordinate advocacy actions
- In collaboration with case worker ensure that women are engaged in psycho social activities at the comprehensive women’s centers, by sharing information on activities being conducted at these safe spaces.
- Identify and train EMAP allies and link them to SASA activities within their communities
- Promote the involvement of men and youth in GBV activities through EMAP and SASA.
- Utilize participatory methodology and adult education techniques to assist communities in developing community-driven prevention and response plans.
- Mobilize community to form ‘action groups’ for awareness raising and encourage greater self-reliance amongst women in the communities.
- In collaboration with the case management officer, case workers and community members conduct FGDs in the camps and communities to identify potential protection risks, and develop sustainable risk reduction strategies to address them.
- In collaboration with WPE Case Management Assistants and Capacity Building Assistants, Women action groups and adolescent girls Groups, identify training needs of local structures including community members and facilitating these training in a consistent and appropriate manner using approved training tools.
- Promote women’s active participation in leadership and decision-making positions within their communities.
- Plan and implement safety audit activities in the camps and communities to triangulate protection concerns that may have been overlooked during protection monitoring. Liaise with community leaders, government agencies, IRC sectors, Partners to organize training and capacity building activities as the needs may arise.
- Communicate all challenges encountered to the Community Engagement Officer, for brainstorming and solution.
- Compile and summarize weekly activity data to M&E Officer for monitoring purpose.
- Submit weekly narrative reports to WPE Program manager in a timely manner.
- Follow-up on training, sensitization and meetings conducted to ensure implementation of action plans
- Take note and document all emerging issues observed during program implementation and share back with the Community Engagement Officer for informed program design.
- Ensure that all liquidations are done in a timely manner with relevant supporting documentations.
- Submit all financial request to program Manager in a timely manner for onward submission to either supply chain or finance.
- In collaboration with other WPE Staff submit monthly activity cash projections for prevention activities in a timely Manner to program manager.
- Any other duties assigned as needed
- Must be interested and committed to Human Rights, Gender Equality and Gender issues
- Must be fluent in community language, spoken and written English: Fluency in Kanuri will be an added advantage
- Possess a higher level education in Community Development or a related field
- Previous experience with community mobilization using participatory methodology.
- Good interpersonal and problem-solving skills and flexibility.
- Ability to keenly observe confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to work as part of a TEAM.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel required.
- Be able to work effectively in unstable, challenging, and fast-paced environments.
- Security level orange. The situation in Gwoza, Borno State remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
How to Apply Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply onlineApplication Deadline Not Specified.
Subscribe to Free Job Alerts!
Being aware and applying for jobs on time increases your chances of getting a job. Information is key. Subscribe to our free job alerts