Sonographer Job Description
Job Descriptions > Healthcare and Medical > Sonographer
Common questions people ask include:
What is the job description of a Sonographer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Sonographer? What does a Sonographer do?
Job Description of a Sonographer
A Sonographer, uses imaging equipment and soundwaves to form images of many parts of the body, known as ultrasounds. They are trained to acquire and analyze these sonographic images. These images are used to help doctors diagnose and treat many medical conditions.
Sonographer Duties and Responsibilities
Sonographer job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Explaining sonographic procedures to patients, answering questions, preparing patients by applying the gel to the skin, and positioning the patients on the table.
- Ensuring clear images for diagnostic purposes and making adjustments to the sonographic equipment when necessary.
- Selecting the appropriate settings and adjusting the patients' positions accordingly.
- Monitoring and caring for patients to ensure their safety and comfort during the procedures.
- Selecting and examining images, looking for differences between healthy and pathological areas, and determining if the scope of the exam should be extended, based on preliminary findings.
- Presenting the sonograms and preliminary findings to the Physicians.
- Completing the appropriate documentation and maintaining patients' histories and medical records.
- Assisting Physicians and the healthcare teams during invasive procedures.
- Maintaining and cleaning the sonographic equipment.
- Performing medical procedures, such as administering oxygen, taking vital signs, and giving emergency treatments.
Sonographer Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Sonographer job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- An Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Sonography.
- An industry certification and state license may be advantageous.
- Good eyesight and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, judgment, and decision-making skills.
- Strong technical, communication, interpersonal, and patient service skills.
- The ability to explain technical terms in a clear and understandable way.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Sonographer starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Sonographer job description example to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs. Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Sonographer may also reference it in preparation for the interview.
Similar to Sonographer Job Description