What is the job description and role of an Advertising art director? What are the duties and responsibilities of an Advertising art director?
Advertising art director Job Description
An art director usually works alongside a copywriter to form a ‘creative team’. Traditionally, the copywriter produces the words to go with the visuals created by the art director. These roles are becoming more blurred now though and it is likely that both will have an input on the visual and verbal content to produce the right look and feel for the advertising campaign.
The advertising art director works on the campaign from the beginning and receives details about the client, product, target audience and required advertising message, which helps to shape the advertising campaign.
Advertising art directors vary according to the agency they work for and the client brief.
Job Description / Duties / Functions / Roles / Responsibilities of an Advertising art director
- gaining an understanding of the target audience and business that the advert is aimed at;
- meeting with the creative director and account managers before presenting ideas to clients;
- pitching ideas to clients;
- working closely with the copywriter to generate creative ideas and concepts to fulfil the client’s brief;
- producing sketches or ‘storyboards’ (television) or ‘roughs’ or ‘scamps’ (print) to communicate ideas to the client;
- working on location;
- attending meetings at production houses and with other directors;
- working in editing suites to oversee the finished product;
- advising new creatives, reviewing their ‘books’ and managing new teams on placement with the agency.
- briefing other members of the creative team;
- commissioning photographers, artists or film-makers to work on projects;
- visiting and assessing locations for potential shoots;
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!