The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Obstetrics & Gynecology Doctor
Location: Monguno, Borno
Estimated Start Date: ASAP
Purpose of the Position
- The Obstetrician/Gynaecologist supervises and coordinates the obstetric services: emergency room, out-patient consultation if present, operating department, delivery ward, maternity ward.
- He/she is responsible to provide the best obstetrical care to the patient.
Care to the patient:
- In collaboration with the anaesthetist (nurse or doctor), provide the best surgical care in the operating theatre (Caesarean sections, postpartum hysterectomies, uterine evacuations, etc.).
- In collaboration with the midwife/nurse, provide the best obstetrical and new-born care in the maternity ward, in the delivery ward, and in the outpatient clinic if present.
- Assure duty roll with surgeons or medical doctors with surgical skills.
- Respect of ALIMA policies, guidelines, protocols and recommendations:
Standard hygiene and sterilisation rules:
- Special precautions will be adapted in order to prevent dangerous exposure to HIV, TB, Syphilis and Hep B.
- Special attention as well, will be given to the waste management.
- Follow up of ALIMA protocols: antibiotic prophylaxis, post-operative pain management, thromboprophylaxis, Caesarean section, blood transfusion, etc.
- Transfusion is an essential component of obstetrical care. It has to be prescribed only for life –saving reasons.
- Management and organisation of the department of obstetrics andgynaecology (in practice: mostly obstetrics)
At maternity ward, delivery room and operating department level:
- Introduction and supervision of ALIMA guidelines and protocols for obstetrical procedures (emergency and elective, if elective surgery is being done) and follow-up.
- In collaboration with the midwife/nurse, supervise the application of surgical rules regarding preparation and work of the operating department.
- In collaboration with the midwife/nurse, supervise the delivery room and intervene in collaboration with the midwife/nurse if needed (vacuum delivery, other complicated deliveries, etc.).
- Care for the patients hospitalised in pregnancy with medical problems (hypertension, malaria, etc.).
- In collaboration with the midwife/nurse and the anaesthetist, introduction of management tools: registers, post-operative observation sheets, data collection, surgical/anaesthetic patient file, operating department register, patient file, etc.
- In collaboration with the midwife/nurse and the anaesthetist, evaluation and standardization of medical needs (material and equipment, introduction of new drugs), and with the logistician the needs in water and sanitation.
- Organization with the anaesthetist of the operating program, and follow up of post-operative patients in the hospitalisation ward.
At emergency room level:
- Introduction and supervision of protocols for the obstetrical cases referrals.
- Introduction with the medical doctor and/or the responsible midwife/nurse of necessary standard ALIMA tools (registers, reference sheets, patient follow-up, data collection, etc.).
- Review and assess the charts of the obstetrical patients seen by the doctors or nurses.
- Develop a system for following up patients referred to other institutions for further management.
- Participate and organise with the medical doctor and/or the responsible midwife/nurse of the needs in human resources, material, equipment and drugs at service level and the emergency trunk (ambulances).
At out-patient level:
- Organisation with the responsible medical doctor and/or midwife/nurse the obstetrical consultations for referral cases from the out-patient department or the antenatal clinic.
- Organize with the responsible OPD nurse/midwife the obstetrical consultation room with the needed materials and equipment for follow up of the obstetrical patients.
Recruitment, training and evaluation of staff:
- Evaluation and reviewing of needs in surgical training for the medical doctors and midwifes/nurses.
- After evaluation of needs, training of medical doctors (with surgical capacities) in performing emergency obstetric surgery (Caesarean section, uterine evacuation, etc.).
- Review the training needs of the staff in basic knowledge of medicine, such as hygiene, sterilization, waste management, hand washing, fluid management and wound management, etc.
- With the responsible midwife/nurse, support/collaborate during the training of the midwifes/nurses in pre-/per-/post- operative care (recognition of complication signs in the post-operative period, etc.).
- With the responsible midwife/nurse, support/collaborate in trainings of managing obstetrical emergencies, family planning or other obstetric/gynaecological problems.
- Be able to do ultrasound and to provide trainings for the staff (medical doctors/midwifes/nurse).
- Participation in the staff regular evaluations of the services he/she is in charge and fit the trainings to the needs and priorities.
Implementation of quality tools:
- Use of standard ALIMA protocols.
- Supervision and control of surgical instruments, drugs and material.
- Supervision of the sterilization procedures.
Implementation and supervision of the use of the data collection system:
- Operating department register (that can be follow up by the OT nurse or anaesthetist).
- Filling of the data in the digital ALIMA standard tool for data collection in collaboration with the anaesthetist.
- Internal investigation for each surgical death
- Collection and analysis of the medical data with the medical responsible (evaluation of care quality).
- Monthly report to the medical responsible: handing the digital data tool and a written report.
- End of mission report.
- Advanced Degree in Medicine with specialization in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Minimum of 3 years of postgraduate public/NGO experience
- Minimum of MBBS with an extensive five years’ postgraduate practical obstetric surgical experience
- Knowledge of the widely spoken local languages and English is required
Required Behavioral Competences:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages
- diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational
- principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises
- careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges
- Contract term: 6 months’ renewable.
- The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required according to the needs of the mission.
- Mobility is requested from ALIMA staff, including short term assignments from their usual place of work.
- Part of any ALIMA-employee responsibilities is the attendance of trainings as per the requirements of the organisation.
- The job description can be modified according to the evolution of the work.
Deadline: 15th November, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV (including references) and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org clearly indicating the “Job Title” as subject of your mail.
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
- This job description is not intended to be all inclusive as it could be amended from time to time according to the needs of the mission.