The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Supervisor
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Coordinate all field operations, including seed preparation, planting, thinning, shoot covering, and pollination in cross blocks and multiplication fields of openpollinated varieties, inbred lines and hybrids at Ibadan under rain-fed and irrigated conditions;
- Extract SI lines from broad-based populations and composites for progeny testing in different locations and recombine the selected materials;
- Supervise the preparation of regional trials of open-pollinated varieties and inbred lines and hybrids for distribution to collaborators in and outside of West and Central Africa;
- Prepare seeds for storage in the cold rooms and take inventory of the quantity of seeds of inbred lines and hybrids available in the cold store;
- Prepare seeds of inbred lines and hybrids as well as open-pollinated varieties requested by collaborators for shipment and provide practical training of new staff;
- Supervise field workers;
- Make requests for required field tags as well as pollination and glassine bags for various crossing blocks at Ibadan;
- Coordinate labour allocation for thinning, shoot covering, pollination, harvesting, threshing, and seed preparation throughout the year;
- Supervise the preparation of all trials and nurseries targeted for testing at Saminaka, Vom, Zaria, Bagauda, Ikenne and Mokwa;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- B.Sc / HND in Agriculture or related field with minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing similar or related roles.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be computer literate and ability to drive.
- Have good communication skill.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application below, attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 31st January, 2020.