Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Safety and Security Officer
Location: Middle belt, Nigeria
- Search Nigeria is seeking a Safety and Security Officer who will be responsible for implementing all policies and procedures regarding security & safety and promoting its day to day management for Search in the Middle Belt region of Nigeria.
- They will continuously assess the safety / security environment and devise risk reduction measures as needed in coordination with Safety and Security Manager (SSM).
- The Safety and Security Officer will be based in Jos with frequent travel to the field. S/he will report to the Safety and Security Manager and work closely with the Head of Office (HOO) of the region and the Admin/Procurement Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure that appropriate safety and security systems are in place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff members and visitors.
- Lead incident management, lessons learnt and any follow-up actions/ changes to procedures.
- Provide crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required.
- Be readily available at all times to the HOOs and field staff to advice on security developments.
- Maintain an updated Search staff contact list and security notification tree and test the tree on a regular basis.
- Conduct regular site visits to field sites to assess safety/security arrangements.
- Monitor implementation of safety and security protocols and promptly advise the CD of any non-compliance and/or concerns/issues.
- Work closely with SSM to ensure security strategies for Search Nigeria and that response are appropriate and aligned with regional and global priorities.
- Deliver oversight of security prevention, preparation, and response and recovery activities, particularly in their respective offices and to counter threats emerging from changing political, social and economic situations.
- Support in developing, reviewing and ensuring effective implementation of the Search Nigeria Security Management Plans, SOPs/Contingency Plans, including a security plan in assigned offices, together with key staff
- Ensure that all safety and security management systems are in line with existing Search security policy, protocol and approach
- Implement and ensure effective monitoring of a personnel and vehicle tracking system in each office.
- Support the SSM in planning and implementing risks mitigation strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) to improve safety and security.
- Conduct ongoing threat assessments and compile daily/weekly situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensures that the information is shared in a timely manner.
- Report, analyze and communicate current socio-political context and the security situation and the wider context (country, region, global trends as applicable).
- Ensure compliance with the incident reporting system and ensuring that the incident register is updated regularly.
- Build and maintain regular contact with other agency security focal points, including NGOs, UN, USAID and local authorities related to security issues and concerns especially in program implementation areas in order to gather reliable security information, facilitate the sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach where possible.
- Attend security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security related information with third-party security and risk management service providers.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline
- Competent and literate in local language of MiddleBelt Nigeria, verbal and written, with a sound knowledge of technical expressions
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- Highly organized and systematic with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and working skills, enjoys a multicultural work environment;
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience at the national or international NGOs in safety and security functions
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police and/or military government authorities as well as with regional institutions preferred.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff in a very sensitive environment.
- Good context analysis skills.
Other Relevant Requirements:
- Conduct routine crisis management exercises for all staff and management.
- Conduct regular mock drills in all offices (e.g. fire drill, evacuation, etc.)
- Promote and encourage a safe and environmentally sound culture
- Provide safety and security orientation for all new staff, short term technical assistance, expats staff/ visitor/ guests and update training for existing staff.
- Comply with the system in place to enhance security skills and awareness that are required for effectiveness especially in areas of accident prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards by planning and facilitate appropriate learning and development opportunities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Interested candidates should send the following through the link above:
- Current resume
- Cover Letter (which includes expectations of compensation and projected start date)
- Please compile your writing sample and resume into one document as the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.