The Centre of Excellence in Reproductive Health Innovation (CERHI) is a World Bank-supported program at the University of Benin aimed at building capacity for reproductive health policies and programming within West and Central Africa’s tertiary education system. One of the strategic objectives to fulfill CERHI’s goal was the establishment of the CERHI Medical and Research Laboratory (CMARL) to support HIV/AIDS and other reproductive health-related problems.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Laboratory Scientist
Location: Benin, Edo
- The Centre requires the services of a Medical Laboratory Scientist (Clinical Chemistry Specialty) to manage the CERHI Medical and Research Laboratory (CMARL) and provide innovative, strategic, and timely medical and research services for the laboratory.
Duties of the Officer
- The Medical Laboratory Scientist shall work under the supervision of the CERHI Medical and Research Laboratory (CMARL) Committee to provide Medical and Research Laboratory Services in the Centre.
- He/she shall be responsible for the routine analyses of specimens; research analyses; and general use and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- The Centre also expects strong research ability and the ability to work with research teams.
The specific responsibilities of the post include the following:
- Develop a range of research methods consistent with best international practices
- Maintenance of all laboratory equipment in the Centre
- Oversee the day to day activities of the laboratory and submit regular reports to the CMARL Committee
- Conduct routine analyses on clinical specimens and ensure prompt service delivery
- Conduct research analyses as provided by the Centre from time to time and communicate such report in a timely manner
Qualifications for the Post
- Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Science or Associate Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria from a reputable Institution.
- Master’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science will be an added advantage
- The demonstration of strong research capacity is a major requirement
- Candidate must hold a current practicing license
- Minimum of 5 years consistent post-NYSC experience in a medical/research laboratory is essential
- Candidate must be creative and innovative
Other key requirements include the following:
- Ability to work with little or no supervision and to produce high quality result
- Strong computer literacy; and
- An interest in public health and reproductive health issues
This is negotiable and shall be on a renewable contract basis. Salary and remuneration are similar to those on contract at the Medical Laboratory Scientist / Senior Medical Laboratory Scientist Cadre in the Nigerian University system.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit 10 (Ten) copies of their Application, Curriculum Vitae and 3 references accompanied with photocopies of their Certificates and relevant Credentials.
Detailed Curriculum Vitae should include the following:
- Full names,
- Date of birth,
- Permanent Home Address and other contact details,
- Marital Status,
- Educational Institutions attended with dates,
- Academic / Professional Qualifications (include dates and granting bodies),
- List of previous experiences in information management,
- Statement of experience including full details of current and former employers with current salary,
- Other activities outside current employment and
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees.
- Applicants should request their referees to forward confidential reports on their behalf to reach the Program Manager on or before the date of the interview.
All applications should be forwarded in properly sealed envelopes marked “CERHI Communication Officer” in the top left corner and addressed and sent to:
The Program Manager,
The Centre of Excellence in Reproductive Health Innovation (CERHI),
University of Benin (Ugbowo in Campus),
P.M.B 1154 Benin City,
Edo State, Nigeria.
Application Deadline 20th July, 2020.