Data Analyst job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Managing master data, including creation, updates, and deletion.
- Managing users and user roles.
- Provide quality assurance of imported data, working with quality assurance analyst if necessary.
- Commissioning and decommissioning of data sets.
- Processing confidential data and information according to guidelines.
- Helping develop reports and analysis.
- Troubleshooting the reporting database environment and reports.
- Evaluating changes and updates to source production systems.
- Training end users on new reports and dashboards.
- Providing technical expertise on data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing.
- Managing and designing the reporting environment, including data sources, security, and metadata.
- Supporting the data warehouse in identifying and revising reporting requirements.
- Supporting initiatives for data integrity and normalization.
- Assessing tests and implementing new or upgraded software and assisting with strategic decisions on new systems.
- Generating reports from single or multiple systems.
Data Analyst job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- BSc. in Computer Science, Mathematics or similar field
- x years of experience as a Data Analyst or similar role
- x years of experience with performing analysis in a database environment
- Experience with using a range of data analysis tools
- Familiarity with a scripting language (e.g. Python, Ruby)
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on company’s success
- Critical thinker
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Advanced analytics capability is a preferred skill
- Ideally experience with SAS, SPSS , R or similar
- Understanding of multiple regression analyses
- Advanced excel a must; Pivot Tables, Macros preferred
- Ability to handle large volume of data
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Data Analyst starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Data Analyst job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs.
Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Data Analyst may also reference it in preparation for the interview.