Accountant at Global Initiative for Health and Rights
Global Initiative for Health and Right is a Non governmental Ogarnisation, which emerged out of the direct need to comprhensivly and sustainably address the rising prevalence rate of new HIV infection amongst youths within the Niger Delta and other parts of Nigeria. The organisation with its head office in Rivers state is registered with both cooperate affairs commision and the state ministry of health.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
Needle and Syringe Programs' (NSP) primary goal is to improve the health of People Who Inject Drugs (PWIDs), so it is essential to deliberately seek the involvement of active PWIDs. Active PWIDs have insight into current cultural norms, practices, and needs among people who use drugs, and may be able to gain trust more easily from participants; their involvement will reinforce the program's respect for active PWIDs. Needle and Syringe Exchange program (NSEP) can serve a number of purposes. GIHR will initiate her NSEP programs:
- Tapping into existing social networks to reach PWIDs in areas where people are not currently accessing NSEP services. This program will use peers to bridge the gap between participants and NSEP services.
- GIHR is committed to creating a workplace that reflects the diversity of our community. This will help ensure our employees, our program participants, feel supported. We encourage people from different backgrounds to apply.
- Direct and oversee the timely preparation, analysis, and review of financial statements.
- Manage the budget process and develop continual improvement of the process with program and organizational leadership.
- Supervise and monitor all aspects of payroll processing.
- Ensure the maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures for the agency in compliance with federal, state, and local regulatory laws and accreditation standards.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization’s financial and contractual management.
- Responsible for maintaining all accounting and reporting related to GIHR, capital campaigns, endowment programs, and other special projects.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision making issues affecting the organization
- Analyze and provide expertise from both a financial and risk perspective on any contract or agreement into which the agency enters.
- Oversee annual indirect cost plan preparation and ensure collection of related revenues through maintenance of an appropriate indirect cost rate.
- Provide leadership and maintain strong relationships with senior management team to identify their needs and provide comprehensive short and long-term strategic financial solutions.
- Ensure prudent management of the organization’s funds by optimizing the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position, maintain cash flow projection process and reporting mechanisms, which includes minimum cash thresholds to meet operating needs.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal laws relating to nonprofits.
- Coordinate preparation of external audits, filing of tax returns and ensure proper maintenance of accounting records and documentation in compliance with statutory requirements and organizational policies.
Our Ideal Candidate
- A Degree in related field.
- Accounting Experience - Must have relevant experience in the nonprofit sector with experience as well in either healthcare or insurance.(This is an added advantage)
- Business Acumen - Regularly analyzes budget data to identify trends and improve the cost effectiveness of unit processes and practices; gathers and organizes credible data to make a business case for changes and additional resources.
- Emotional Intelligence - A complement to social intelligence, emotional intelligence is our ability to communicate at the emotional level, exhibiting self-awareness, and regulations and be in tune with our own emotions. These characteristics are particularly related to leadership "charisma."
- Detail Oriented - You are naturally thorough, attentive to details, and take pride in doing things right.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strategic Capabilities - Offers advice and creates plans based on analysis of issues and trends, and how these link to the responsibilities, capabilities, and potential of the organization.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Leter to: [email protected] using the Job Title and Location as the subject of the email
Application Deadline 16th October, 2022.