Accountant at Medecins Sans Frontieres
Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Medecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountant
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Contract Period: Indefinite
- Controlling the daily cash/check management, supporting the project accounting staff, overseeing and preparing the projects books in accordance with the Finance Manager's instructions and MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to provide accurate, reliable and updated financial information.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Controlling the daily cash and check management and ensuring that all receipts and documentation meet MSF requirements (procedures, deadlines, information, signatures ...). Tracking bills/vouchers, invoices and other running costs and analyzing the related information (costs, service contracts ...) in order to give reliable and updated information.
- Controlling cash advances and cashbook movements for each petty cash box, recording all IN and Out transactions, ensuring that cashbox balances always reflect the actual amount of money kept in the cashboxes and investigating any discrepancy. Ensuring strict compliance with cash control procedures for each cashbox / currency (daily cash control, weekly cash inventory and reconciliations)
- Ensuring monthly accounts report in accordance with MSF procedures, checking individual entries and preparing the necessary administrative documents (originals) as a basis for justification and explanation of payments and receipts made.
- Preparing the timely payment of taxes.
- Being responsible for the processing of accounting software peripheral accounting (project and capital) including checking the quality of the mission accounting allocations and their conformity (correct encoding of salaries, following up and matching of internal transfers and advances in the mission, checking invoices and their allocations, preparing payment order documents to be sent to HQ). Analyzing the problems of the cash box discrepancies and giving technical help to find solutions.
- Being responsible for filing accounting documents and their annexes, preparing documents for audits, organizing the scanning of documents and archiving mission financial documents
- Informing supervisors of any issues / problems that may arise in their job performance.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Processing all payments, ensuring that receipts and supporting documents meet the necessary quality standards.
- Ensuring the filing of accounting documents and their annexes, preparing documents for audits, organizing the scanning of documents and archiving mission financial documents.
- Travelling to project locations from time to time to support the finance team or/and carry out relief duty in the event of a vacancy.
- Ensuring prompt and accurate encoding of transactions in Unifield, following standard booking guidelines applicable in MSF OCB and the Mission.
- Processing and managing mission prepaid cards.
- Managing mission signatory profile (setting up and updating mission signatory data).
- Any other administrative task delegated by the Accounting Manager
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Essential Diploma or professional qualification in Accounting / Finance / Business Administration.
- In administration and accountability (minimum 1 year).
- English Language essential
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Team work and Cooperation
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Commitment to MSF Principles
- Stress Management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 6th December, 2023.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Please note only shortlisted candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen below:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
- Dual Employment is considered as a gross misconduct, as per MSF Belgium Internal Regulations (IR) and hence not acceptable.
- Applications should be sent through the indicated channel (online application form) containing the right subject, meeting all requirements, otherwise application will not be entertained.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next recruitment steps.
- MSF reserves the right to cancel any step or whole of the process at any stage of recruitment