Communication Advisor at Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ's portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in the ECOWAS Commission.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Advisor
VA No: 098
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Organizational Development Programme
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world.
- GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe - from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries.
- We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our approximately 23,500 employees, almost 70 percent of whom are national personnel, work in a round 120 countries (July 2020).
- GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 361 national and 66 international employees, 19 regional staff, 4 integrated specialists and 3 development workers are working in the country (June 2020).
- The project Support to the ECOWAS-Commission on Organisational Development” provides advisory services to the Commission of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), based in Abuja.
- The Institutional Support to ECOWAS (ISE) is a recently added component of the project, targeting the improvement of ECOWAS’ internal processes to ensure efficient and effective use of the organisation’s resources.
- ISE began its implementation in December 2020 and is financed to the tune of €4.85million by the German Federal Government and the European Union with perspectives to continue the support beyond 2022.
- The joint action supports the Economic Community of West-African States (ECOWAS) Commission and the ECOWAS Bank for Investment and Development (EBID) to prepare for certification to directly manage funds provided by the European Union (Pillar Assessment).
- Communication activities of the project should on one hand provide information on results and help increasing the visibility of donors in compliance with visibility standards of the various stakeholders. On the other hand, communication activities of the project should strengthen change processes inside the partner organizations.
- In addition, the project communicates officially in form of reports with the donors the European Union and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- To support all communication activities of the project in form of visibility, change communication to strengthen the impact of the projects interventions or reporting to stakeholders, GIZ is seeking to fill in the position of an Advisor for Communication and Reporting.
- ISE provides technical assistance for institutional reforms at both institutions by coaching and providing advice to ECOWAS and EBID managers in the coordination of the pillar certification process.
- A key element for successful implementation of capacity development projects is the engagement of stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- Therefore, effective complementary communication, not only with regards to the project’s visibility, but also along project activities is key.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Implementation of the Communication and Visibility Plan of the project Development of strategic communication activities to support change processes at ECOWAS and EBID Coordination and preparation of project reporting Support to the overall management of the project at implementation stage
Project Communication and Visibility:
- Implements communication activities to increase the visibility of the project, such as press releases, website presentation, fact sheets, project launch and closing events.
- Develops the quarterly project newsletter, compiles articles, coordinates with graphic designers, ensures final editing of all articles etc.
- Prepares promotional materials to be handed out at events supported by the project.
- Ensures all project communication products are in line with donor’s visibility guidelines and GIZ corporate design principles.
- Manages the projects picture data base, ensures that visual elements of all pictures comply with data protection requirements.
- Works with multiple team members to recommend, develop, and implement communication strategies;
- Partners with senior colleagues to design, present and implement custom communication and change management strategies, largely focused on organizational transformation;
- Develops insights related to change management risks and impact; advises partners and colleagues accordingly;
- Translates complex concepts into compelling and engaging communications across various media, including print and digital, with an eye towards cutting-edge solutions and data integration to ensure stakeholder engagement
- Collects relevant data to present in the project reports to the European Union and the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development via the project’s monitoring system;
- Drafts project reports to European Union;
- Provides training for team members to update the system.
- Analyses project developments and provides insight into project progress targetting different audiences (EU, German Federal Government, ECOWAS counterparts.
- Prepares and updates project presentations in Power Point or any other required format;
- Assists in preparing data from the project’s monitoring system and project planning tool, facts and figures for communication materials;
- Supports the update of the M&E system, ensures that team members update the system.
- Attends tactical project team meetings for promotion, communication support and associated releases;
- Collaborates with programme or project managers to align timelines and communication deliverables;
- Assists in conducting management and team meetings, writes minutes of meetings.
- Conducts any other task as requested by the head of unit.
Required Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
- University Degree in Communications, Political Sciences, Public Information, International Relations or a related field.
- A Master’s Degree will be an added advantage
- Social Behavioral Change Communication (SBCC) Certification would be an asset
Professional Competencies and Experience:
- 5 years of employment experience of which 3 years must be a combination of Communication or Branding and support to change management or reform processes:
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience in communications, copywriting, copyediting, marketing/PR or similar experience.
- And minimum of 2-3 years experience in organizational change management, reform process management, strategic planning, project management, or similar experience
- And a minimum of 1-2 years experience in event planning, coordination.
- Demonstrated experience producing communications materials and communication strategies ideally using visibility guidelines from European Union or other Public Donor organizations.
- Social media and multimedia skills;
- Good verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills to include experience with developing and delivering presentations, editing, and proofreading;
- Ability to explain concepts in an easily understandable written format.
- Solid computer skills with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of organising and hosting virtual meetings on diverse platforms (MSTeams, Webex, etc.)
- Knowledge of graphic design software such as InDesign or photoshop etc. to produce visual material would be an asset
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to communicate within a complex change environment (understand the work of multiple teams and support their communication effort);
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English, including the ability to draft material in a variety of styles, for different audiences and within tight deadlines (established track record of writing and/or editing materials for publication);
Other Knowledge, Additional Competencies:
- Demonstrated client relationship skills working in a dynamic client environment
- Passion/interest/on change processes, methodologies, and tools
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality.
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness.
- Proficiency in English and one of the other ECOWAS official languages (Portuguese or French).
- The ability to remain organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines (self-organization and time management).
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Letter of Motivation as one document with complete contact details to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
- Please include vacancy no. 094 in the mail subject.
- GIZ is an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity. All qualified candidates, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, race and religion are encouraged to apply.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 10th December, 2021.