Communication Officer (Global Equality Project) at Westminster Foundation for Democracy
Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) is the UK public body dedicated to supporting democracy around the world. Operating directly in over 40 countries, WFD works with parliaments, political parties, and civil society groups as well as on elections to help make countries’ political systems fairer and more inclusive, accountable and transparent.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Officer (Global Equality Project)
Hours: Full Time
Contract: Full-time, Fixed term contract of service
Contract length: September 2022 - March 2023
- The Communication Officer -Global Equality Project (GEP) supports the delivery of WFD’s FCDO funded programme focused on expanding the participation of women, girls, and other vulnerable persons in the political and societal decision -making processes in Nigeria.
- Under the guidance of the Country Representative and working in collaboration with WFD staff across the organisation, the Communication Officer is responsible for ensuring that the communication strategy of the Country Office is implemented and meets WFD’s highest standards.
- He/she will take responsibility for the management of WFD’s communication and engagement strategies in Nigeria; communicate programme outcomes in the media, on social media and directly to stakeholders; develop communication products; liaise with key in-country contacts; identify opportunities to keep stakeholders and the public informed about WFD activities; prepare, and disseminate project documents; collect, monitor, and evaluate data and communicates project successes and achievements both internally and externally.
- The post holder will be ready to support WFD’s global communication, by working closely with WFD’s colleagues in other countries.
Strategy, Planning and Delivery:
- Lead on the delivery of WFD-Nigeria communication strategy, tracking progress against objectives, adapting implementation based on the evaluation of communication performance and producing timely reports for WFD Communications and External Affairs Department at the Headquarters, and relevant partners.
- Ensure audience-appropriate communication through multiple channels including WFD.org, social media, local and national press, broadcast and events and meetings involving programme stakeholders.
- Contribute to or lead as necessary on development and dissemination of communications/visibility materials (e.g., banners, signage, print materials).
- Identify communications/visibility opportunities for programme activities
- Design and develop graphic materials, including infographics for campaigns, sensitisation, and education of target groups
- Craft engaging content (articles and blogs, press releases, social media posts).
- Coordinate with WFD Communications Team and provide content for WFD website and social media (Yammer, Facebook, Twitter, and SharePoint)
Media and Stakeholder Relations:
- Manage media relations on behalf of WFD Nigeria, identify opportunities in print and broadcast as well as manage media queries in partnership with the Country Representative and the WFD Communication and External Affairs Department.
- Coordinate with relevant colleagues to jointly plan and produce media and visibility materials and posting on social media.
- Establish good working relations with critical stakeholders, Members of Parliament, civil society organisations and government officials.
- Proactively identify opportunities for strategic partnerships to facilitate communication efforts with NGOs and programme partners.
- Monitor regional, national media and reports on relevant coverage in a timely fashion.
- Organise events to raise the profile of the programme and communicate its intended outcomes.
Programme Communication and Messaging:
- Liaise with the programme team and implementing partners to document and share best success stories across multiple channels in a visual and engaging way, using language appropriate to our target audience.
- Ensure programme communication is planned and information is shared with the WFD Communication and External Affairs Department, including taking part in weekly online meetings.
- Update the programme page on the WFD website and other internal and external facing media channels including social media.
- Maintain a library of high-resolution pictures and videos to document key moments in the life of the programme and stories demonstrating impact on programme partners.
- Hire and liaise with communication suppliers including photo/videographers, designers, printers, and event support.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge:
- A relevant Master's Degree will be an added advantage
- At least 7 years of first-hand experience of journalism or international affairs supporting communication, advocacy, and external affairs; parliamentary/democracy strengthening; governance; elections; civil society/political parties’ support; international development; and gender inclusion.
- Experience with newspapers and/or radio/TV and good use of social media.
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with key stakeholders, including government officials, journalists, bloggers, and key communication partners
- Ability to draft clear and concise copy in English for a range of stakeholders and on different formats from detailed case studies to media releases.
- Able to identify trends, opportunities and communicate their significance to internal stakeholders for action.
- Self-motivated with the ability to multitask, effectively plan and organise own schedule
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft 365 suite of Office products (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Dynamics).
- Experience of managing websites and social media channels including targeted social media marketing.
- Proven experience in the use of relevant tools to develop creative graphic designs and draft relevant content for offline and online target audience.
£1,210 gross per month.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This is a locally based field role; applicants must be eligible to work in the relevant location and be willing to travel if needed.
Application Deadline 21st August, 2022.
WFD's Competency and Skills Framework
- WFD's competency and skills framework describes the behaviour required for each position. These position provides support function within the organisation. Therefore, candidates applying for this position will be assessed at interview against the competencies relevant for a Support Level position. For more information about the WFD's Competency and Skills Framework please visit www.wfd.org/careers/