Country Security Manager Job at the International Medical Corps, 10th August, 2018
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Security Manager
Job Ref: 18-213
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- The Country Security Manager works at the direction of the Country Director and the Director of Global Security.
- The primary function of the Country Security Manager is provide assistance to the Country Director and country programs, as assigned, on all issues of safety and security as they relate to staff at a program site.
- The Country Security Manager oversees daily security management of a country program site and manages the National Security Officers, as well as trains and mentors Security Focal Points. The Country Security Manager will monitor and assess security conditions, assist and provide direction to country management teams and Security Focal Points (SFP’s).
- The Director of Global Security (DGS) is the technical manager for the Country Security Manager.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Monitors the security preparedness of country staff and works with CD to enforce staff compliance with internal security policies and SOPs
- When directed by the DGS, carry out investigations and capture lessons learned to be incorporated into future staff trainings
- Act as a key member of the Field Incident Team when required during a crisis so that safety policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensures logistics follows a servicing and maintenance schedule for vehicles
- Audits communications equipment and facilitates communications-related assistance when necessary.
- Recommends changes in country security plans to CD and DGS as needed
- Ensure induction security briefings are conducted to all arriving staff, visitors or volunteers
- Develop and update the Security Risk Assessments (SRA’s), SOP’s and Contingency Plans
- Supervise and train National Security Manager and Security Focal Points
- Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure that all field staff is fully cognizant of prevailing security threats and fully advised on means to reduce staff vulnerability to those threats
- Design and drill warden systems, emergency communications networks, and provisioning of emergency supplies for field personnel
- Ensure internal incident tracking system is utilized properly and perform incident mapping and analysis
- Collects security related information from local and regional resources as it applies to sites and communicates with Director of Global Security (DGS) and Country Director (CD) as appropriate
- Ensure weekly security reports are completed and sent to headquarters, providing timely updates of all situational and security developments including investigation of security incidents
- Conducts and submits Security Risk Assessments of programs, as required.
- Conducts and submits full Site Security Surveys of every site visited.
- Conducts and submits Trip Reports of all high-risk field deployments.
- The above should be completed using the Security Department approved templates, and be submitted to the Director of Global Security and the other HQ security staff.
- Keep excellent records and logs to ensure continuity of this position
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of qualified national security field staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Country Director
- Make frequent site visits to facilities to carry out security assessments and ensure appropriate care and training are being conducted. Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
Training/ Capacity Building:
- Determine training needs for the security staff
- Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability
- Works with DGS and CD to conduct any staff security training that is warranted.
- Maintain excellent working relationships as a member of the country team senior management.
- Build strong professional relationships with UN agencies, local authorities and other NGO’s
- Maintain local networks to ensure community acceptance and local information
Compliance & Ethics
- Attends security coordination meetings and updates CD on current security issues
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity.
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
How to Apply
- 5 years of field security experience in hostile environments
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources
- Must work independently under difficult conditions.
- Previous experience working in NGO
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply