Crop / Value Chain Specialist at The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Jan 12, 2021, 12:11 AM
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Crop / Value Chain Specialist
Location: Ogun or Plateau
Selected Crops: Cassava, Yam, Maize, Rice, Cashew
- IITA has received a grant to conduct a deep dive study on selected value chains to support the implementation of GIZ’s program on Agricultural Technical and Vocational Education and Training (ATVET) in Nigeria. This study will identify the value chains/crop clusters with the highest potential for (self-)employment creation for the Youth and scalability to other states. The study further aims at mapping suitable private sector actors for the implementation of a collaborative and competency-based training (CBT) system in selected agricultural trades.
- The Crop/Value Chain Specialist will conduct and lead the field data collection of the study, be responsible for the validity of the data, and provide extensive support to IITA in the analysis and reporting. The consultant works under the supervision of the Agricultural Markets Economist and the Head of Capacity Development Office (CDO).
The assignment comprises a main phase and an option for additional works in a second phase.
Phase 1 (main): Value Chain and Private Sector Mapping:
- Data Collection / Field Visits:
- Provide support in the preparation and planning of data collection methodology and tools
- Attend a training on the use of data collection tools and on how to collect valid data
- Conduct data collection: individual interviews, company visits, focus groups discussions, surveys of main market and institutional players
- Supervise a team of enumerators and ensure the first level of quality control & assurance of the information collected before transferring them to IITA.
- Value Chains and Private Sector Mapping:
- Provide support in data preparation and analysis
- Provide support in elaborating the value chain mapping and SWOT analysis
- Validation of the value chains or crop clusters and private sector mapping
- Assist IITA in preparing the materials (reports, PPT presentations) for (virtual) stakeholder meetings
- Attend the (virtual) workshops and provide support in the reporting
- Provide any other supports on activities related to phase 1 as required by the Agricultural Market Economist and/or the Head of CDO.
Phase 2 (option): Skills Gap Assessment and Training Provider Mapping:
- This consultancy includes an option for extension to a second phase subject to the value chains/ crop clusters selected at the end of the value chains mapping.
- The consultant will perform the same tasks as in phase 1.
- However, in phase 2, the market players to interview and the questionnaires will be oriented on Skill Gap Assessment and Training Provider Mapping.
Qualifications and Core Competencies
- The consultant should possess at least an M.Sc. in Agricultural Economics, Applied Economics, or other relevant fields (Agronomy, Agricultural Extension, etc.)
- He/she will demonstrate experience of at least 5 years in the value chain of the selected crop in Nigeria.
- Experience in conducting studies (data collection and analysis) in research settings
- Experience in developing TVET Training programs and/or Skill Gap Assessment for Training Programs for Youth in Agriculture will be considered as a strong asset
- Previous works on Agricultural Value Chains and/or ATVET in Ogun and/or Plateau will be considered as an asset
- Duration: The contract is expected to start on Jan 15, 2020 for a duration of 3 months and a maximum of 56 working days in phase 1. The additional phase 2 will also cover 2,5 months.
- Duty Station: The data collection will be conducted in Ogun or Plateau States.
- IITA will cover all the cost associated with the perdiems, accomodation and transportation for the data collection.
- The consultant will be required to attend training sessions on the data collection at IITA headquarters in Ibadan for each phase of the study. He/she will might also participate in work sessions at IITA headquarters.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shouldapply to the Head of Human Resources, by submitting a copy of their Curriculum Vitae (including the selected crop he/she is applying for), names and addresses of three referees.
Click here to apply
Click here for more information (PDF)
- Only selected candidates will be contacted and then asked to submit a financial offer to be negotiated with IITA.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
Application Deadline 16th January, 2021.