English Teacher at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We seek suitable applicants for the position below at the Institute's Headquarters in Ibadan:
Job Title: English Teacher
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (3-year renewable contract)
Classroom Management Responsibilities:
- Ensure a physically and emotionally safe environment for students through positive framing, kind communication with students and adults, and predictable, consistent routines.
- Use classroom and behavioural management strategies that are positive, structured, consistent, respectful, and responsive to student needs, to build a safe, orderly, inclusive, and positive classroom community.
- Demonstrate an understanding of inquiry and give students choices to show their understanding.
- Encourage students to interact and work cooperatively with others and engage all students in activities.
- Promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and reward achievement of self-reliance.
- Respect all deadlines set out by the PYP Coordinator and the Head teacher and keep proper documentation.
- Use a wide array of data to make instructional choices and create specific action plans to increase student achievement, including dynamic student grouping for small group instruction.
- Utilize an effective approach to behaviour management, time management, classroom organization and appearance, planning, teaching, and monitoring learning.
Curriculum Related Responsibilities:
- Plan, execute and assess English lessons as timetabled in the middle school based on the school Scope and Sequence.
- Plan, execute and assess at least one language-based lesson for children from KG to Grade 5.
- Prepare and submit a weekly newsletter page for your class.
- Prepare class for Celebrations of Learning as specified in school policy documents
- Provide staff development and support to improve English across the school.
- Assess, record and report on the progress of pupils in the middle school in English
- Prepare teaching and learning documents in line with the school policy including but not limited to weekly plans, unit planners and portfolios.
Collegiate Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Understand and live the school’s mission.
- Contribute positively to staff morale.
- Work as a team player.
- Be prepared to report back about training and/or provide in-service to colleagues.
- Actively participate in Appraisal Procedures.
- Represent the school by being a good role model.
- Model the qualities of the IB learner profile and attitudes and be an active member of the learning community.
- Maintain professional working relationships with colleagues, line managers, and administrators.
- Maintain professional relationships with students, parents, and staff.
- Take part in all training provided by the school, both internal and external.
- Take an active role in the wider community, participating in extracurricular activities, school trips, and extension activities as necessary.
- Use all school resources effectively with appropriate consideration of financial and environmental impact of all decisions with particular attention to IITA’s commitment to build an ecologically sound future that takes into account the issues of climate change.
- Communicate effectively with external stakeholders as parents on the individual progress of students through all means used at The International School of IITA.
- This includes but is not limited to being responsible for: report cards, parent meetings upon school’s or parents’ request.
- Take on active supervision during scheduled duties.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged information about students, faculty members, and administration.
- Coordinate appropriate and ongoing displays of student work.
- Read and properly use the IB guidelines for PYP as appropriate.
- Perform any other job-related task as may be assigned by the line manager.
- Bachelor's Degree in English Language or related field with a minimum of three (3) years experience in n international teaching school approved by an international schools association or body (e.g IBO, CIA, AISAN, COBIS, CIS, AISA). Possession of Teaching qualification recognised by TRCN or additional qualifications from International organizations (e.g. CIE, IBO) is an added advantage.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have excellent level of English language and teaching skills.
- Have ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover Letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.
- The application must include the Names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees (which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package).
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce, particularly welcoming applications from women.
- While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 14th December, 2021.